How To Teach Her To Swallow Her Food

Baby is 6 month old and i have started solid. The very first time i fed her she did swallow if im not wrong. But the next time i fed her with the same food, she will munch a few times and then spit out. Using it like a teether. How to teach her to swallow?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My cutie is turning 1yrs 3mths in days still her food is fully blended ... she sees me eat she wil grab my hand when give her abit to taste like rice or egg or fries .. she will taste it but spit it out as she duno how to bite food but other things like TOYS OR WATEVER SHE SEES SHE WILL PUT INSIDE HER MOUTH N CHEW ... lolzzzzz I also waiting for her to start to eat maybe my next visit to doc will update abt tis

Read more

It could be that she doesn’t like the food, or she is just playing. Be patient mummy! Starting them on solids is like having a human discover their favorites and least favs over and over again. And for now, it could be that she’s seeing it as play, rather than mealtime. Would be good that she joins you at the table at mealtimes, and they learn by imitation :)

Read more
Super Mum

Try with a more runny food, for example apple puree. You can add in a bit of breast milk / formula milk to make it even more runny so it's easier for baby to swallow. If she still can't swallow yet that's fine too, she might just be not ready. You can't really teach a baby to swallow just be patient and try again many times

Read more

Hey, Your baby is still in the process of learning how to swallow food. So I would suggest keep trying. You can also try giving different flavours of solid foods (example, various purees etc.). This will also help in changing the taste buds of the baby and she will try more to swallow

Usually baby if doesn't like the food or not yet ready to eat solid will tend to spit it out. I gave my baby eat certain fruits and vegetables pureed food at 4 months and not once she spit it out, whenever she sees the spoon she will open her mouth 😅

VIP Member

They need time to learn. Perhaps your baby is still not ready for solid. Mimic the action.

VIP Member

Maybe she is not yet ready. Can try again after few days.

Super Mum

What solids are you giving your baby?

4y ago

I think not all babies are ready for this style of baby led weaning at this age. Some may be more suited for traditional feeding with purees first. It’s common to start with cerelac, but I know my LO hated it, and only enjoyed fruit/vegetable puree (apple, carrot, pear, prune) at the beginning. Maybe you can try these first?:)Once baby enjoys one of these foods, then you can start introducing new ones, and gradually make the food chunkier.

Super Mum

Give her runny food. Puree

VIP Member

try more watery at first