Asking for a friend: my boy refuses to read, and would tear up any book, magazine and even flash cards! Im at a loss! what can i do? i really want him to be interested in reading but this is getting nowhere. he's 2.5yo now. TIA!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I would involve him in CREATING his own book. Children have lots of stories to tell and even if it doesn't make any sense, at least he will be interested if it is something created from his own imagination. Include photographs or let him illustrate the book. When it's all finished, read the book together with him.

Read more
Post reply image

I would like to recommend flip flap book and make interactions while reading with him. Bring him to nearby library as frequent as possible. Also make art and craft based on the story in the book will help him to understand actually reading is a liveable activity.

Instead of giving him the books, maybe your friend could read to him first? Or just avoid books altogether at first and tell him a story. Then tell her to gradually introduce books once her boys has developed an interest in listening to stories.

I agree with Nalika, leave the books completely and start with narrating stories, slowly jump to books, this will encourage her son to read books

I would start making up stories so he isn't distracted visually.

thanks