Confinement Nanny

Hi Mummies! I read that we need to book the confinement nanny early. I’m due in Aug. I am at a loss to whether or not to engage one cos of the limited space at my in-laws’. Would getting a confinement nanny really be necessary/helpful?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

To me, yes, I would prefer confinement nanny who is experienced in caring for baby and knows what food to cook for me, to help me out than my mil who offered to help then. Thankful I didn't agree to mil helping as there were many differences in how the baby should be cared for and she made lots of comments about the smell of confinement bathing herbs, herbal soups and food (so I couldn't imagine how she would have cooked with them). Also, I would feel awkward if I need my mum or mil to do the laundry (esp if stained) for me. So I am happy I went ahead with 3 different confinement nannies for the 3 kids, for my own sanity and prevention of post-natal blues. For your case, if space is a constraint, then maybe catering confinement food would help ease your own load and your in law can help with caring of baby and boiling of bathing herbs.

Read more
VIP Member

if the person whom you asked for help is align with your way of caring for baby then its ok. but do remember that with family member there might be conflict and outdated myths they follow. if that person be it your mil/mom is good with communicating and not the kind that will force you to listen, then go ahead to ask them to help full time. if not, engage a confinement nanny and ask your mil/mom to come see baby. my mom tried to help but in the end cant cope with the stress. my mil came to help but fell sick and passed to my baby. my sis took over lastly and the rest of the journey went on smoothly.

Read more

Basically, as first time mom we are sometimes pretty clueless, and a confinement nanny has seen it all after many years of work. The confinement nanny will take care of the infant and ensure your well-being. And your duty is just to rest and pump/breastfeed milk. Your in laws might be eager to help in the beginning, but age is catching up and they're not used to waking in the wee hours of the night. When sleep depreviation sets in, unhappiness in the house sets in. We can all make do with extra help.

Read more

Are your in laws going to help out with the baby? If they are willing and happy to help, you can consider just ordering confinement food if space is a constrain. Else getting a confinement nanny will definitely be a great help so that you can have ample rest and focus on feeding the baby.

TapFluencer

Yes it would be great to get some help for that one month. You will need ample rest therefore an extra pair of hands will be of great help. Also, if you follow confinement traditions, a confinement nanny will help with the chores and cooking as well as looking after the baby in the night.

it really depends on whether you have people to care for you. I'm very lucky to have my mum took care of me during my confinement days, as I feel more comfortable to be in the care of someone i know. if you have no one to look after you, then yes, you'll probably need a confinement nanny.

VIP Member

I didn’t engage confinement nanny cause my mum and grandma looked after me. If you have someone to take care of you and your baby during your confinement month, it’s not necessary to engage a confinement nanny.

VIP Member

It will be a big help for you to run around things at home. But also think of the pros and cons before hiring one.

if ur mil can help u with confinement, it will be better.. i don like the ideal of staying w stranger

It would be helpful. So you don’t need to bother your parents or in-laws.