my newborn's nose has been perpetually blocked for 2 weeks.

as above. went to pd twice to suck out the mucus. pd says it's a very common symptom for newborns. at home we have tried nasal spray, aspirator, iliadin. but her nose is still blocked (not completely clear). what should I do.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Oh dear, sorry to hear that! Sometimes there are just so many reasons why they could get sick/feel unwell, it's hard to pinpoint it especially when it comes to newborns because there's not much we can do for them :/ If it doesn't get in her way too much, don't worry too much about it! You can try to help her by seeing if the environment could be too stuffy/dusty/cold, but other than that I think just clean air circulation would help :) Other than that, you could probably keep the people and things around her regularly cleaned/sanitized just in case - because they get sick real quick so it'll probably be a good idea to pay more attention to hygiene and sanitation if you aren't already. If you are, then you're already doing a great job!

Read more
5y ago

All the best, you're doing a great job already! :)

It's been 2 months already and she's still having congestion. We can hear that her nose is congested, and we think she has phlegm built up too. We have tried almost everything we could Google. Saline, aspirator, elevate her head, humidifier, purifier, TCM kitz cough powder, but every morning she wakes up with obviously congestion nose/throat. Went to pd three times and they all say it's normal and common for babies. They just have to outgrow it. It's very sad to see her having these difficulties. She should be a happy smiling baby. I can only hope one day when I and her wake up, the congestion has cleared..

Read more
5y ago

My 4 month old has been congested for most of her life haha. My PD says it's very common too. Honestly I think it bothers us more than it bothers them. Being congested doesn't mean they're unhappy, and if your girl is unhappy it could be other causes. Anyway the congestion for my little girl only improved very recently so there's hope, hang in there!

VIP Member

make sure you are using the right size of the aspirator.. one that is small and can reach deeper in baby's nostrils. dont worry it's soft and wont harm them.. do it 2-3hrs.

VIP Member

Have you tried to suck out using nasal cleaner? I actually used nasal spray and then the cleaner to suck out so my child can breathe better.

5y ago

Ban Choon Wah Medical Hall Serangoon North Ave 1, #01-434 Block 154, Singapore 550154 6288 7439 https://maps.app.goo.gl/YTkT1

Have you shown your baby to a paediatrician?

5y ago

3 times already. All tell me to let her outgrow it.