First trimester dating scan

My wife is already in the 6th week of her first trimester. We went to the polyclinic to get a referral letter for a follow up at NUH with a obstetrics and gynae doctor there. Called NUH and they said that the earliest date available is on the 12th/13th week. Is the wait to see a doctor at NUH so long for subsidized patients? Doesn’t seem right that the wait for a follow up and a crucial first trimester dating scan is so long. Any advise? Thank you :)

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Majority of my friends complained that NUH is always crowded and the waiting time is horrendous. So I selected SGH during the Polyclinic check up for referal on a Saturday and immediately got a response or date for the check up at SGH which was 3 days away! Mind you, I was 3-4weeks pregnant at that time. The waiting time at SGH was fast and efficient, so was the nurses and doctors. Came in at 2 PM for a 2.15PM Appointment and immediately got called in for check up and scans, less than 30 mins, I was done with the consultations and scanning. A few hours later, got a text message for the next appointment date and timing.

Read more

i was in private previously cuz my gynae no longer deliver and he refer me to SGH i was with Prof Tan, for what i know down syndrome test was done ard 12-13weeks, only bld test needed to be done during the first trimester, like hiv test etc, maybe you can call SGH and check out their appt, so far i feel their service is good, somewhat could compare to private clinic 😉

Read more

If you don't want to wait so long, you can arrange a scan at regular gp first while waiting for the space at the hospital. Some GPs offered ultrasound service as well, and the price is relatively lower about $90 including consultation. I did mine at a GP first since 5 weeks and consistently throughout till referred to a gynae.

Read more

To be honest, me and wife tried getting referrals letter from polyclinic and visit kkh. The waiting time is on the actual day polyclinic took 4hours to queue , KKH spend 3.5hours as well. We calculate the time spend on each visit will not justify for the money that we save. We went for private instead

Read more

I had the same situation before on Jan 10 went to polyclinic to get a referral letter to NUH and they said the earliest is 7 march!! Because NUH is always packed with appointments! But in god hands I'm in luck on the spot I got appointment on Jan 17 cause someone cancel their appointment.

Abit late i feel too. But i guess they have already schedule appts for prior patients as well and they hv a long waiting list. On the other hand, u will get a clearer scan only 10 weeks onwards or so. If u can wait, then just stay calm. If not, perhaps u can try other hospitals instead.

Actually they arranged for you to wait that long is because thats the only stage you can actually see smtg during scanning. If earlier theres no point scanning. And just make sure you take care of the pregnancy as long theres no spotting/blood and wtch what you eat.

I went for my 1st NUH appt on my 12/13th week too. Before that, i went to see private gynae recommended by my friend. A total of 3 visits (one visit per mth) before i switch from private to gov hospital. Save lots of money too.. So why not?

VIP Member

A bit long though. Prob affected by covid. Maybe try KKH or SGH? I got hospital appt 2 weeks later after polyclinic visit at 7 week. Then can see sac on ultrascan and blood test for both husb n wife. And also some med.

VIP Member

12 - 13 weeks is a bit too long and may miss tests during the first trimester such as the down syndrome test. I got appt at kkh only in a weeks time