Why did you chose English as your child's primary language? Aren't they struggling at school with the Filipino subjects? How about with conversing with non-English speaking classmates or friends?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

This question isn't for me because I'm speaking to my baby in Filipino most of the time, but I'd like to share my thoughts why I did it. In our home, most of the people here are mother tongue speakers. If I teach my baby English, at such young age, there might be language barrier and this isn't really a good thing. He might be drawn in and refuse to socialize, especially with his little cousins who speak Filipino all the time. If your household speaks English and the people around your kids (like, say, in school) speak in that language, too, then you can consider teaching English as your kid's primary language. But if not, I suggest you just stick to Filipino. This, however, isn't to say we should just become purists. I am not; I converse with my baby in English, too. But I make sure he learns Filipino first before anything else :)

Magbasa pa

What we do for our daughter (we started since her birth) is to talk to her in both languages, these are Tagalog and English. To avoid confusion, my husband talks to her in Tagalog while I do it in English. It worked for us. While she converses more fluently and comfortably in English, she can still understand some Tagalog words. The reason we did this is because our daughter's cousins are all based in English-speaking countries. She's able to communicate with them very well. I let her play with non-English speaking playmates so her Tagalog is also developed. I'm homeschooling her so I can see where she struggles and helps her to cope and overcome.

Magbasa pa
8y ago

Thanks. We have another struggle because my son also has to learn Capampangan. For now, our focus is Tagalog and English so it will be less confusing and complicated for him.

I have a friend in college who doesn't know how to properly speak in Filipino because in their household, they use English. It may sound more sosyal than others but it was a struggle for my friend to start mingling with people around her. I really think it must be a balance—after all, they will use both languages all throughout their life

Magbasa pa

My daughter can speak and understand English but can only understand Tagalog. Sometimes some of the kids in our neighborhood avoid talking to her. "English daw Kasi". I try to talk to her in Tagalog but she answers in English.

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-6458)