For Pinoy parents, what language do you first introduce to your child/baby, is it English or Filipino?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Though I still talked to them in Filipino, I started talking to them in English first when my girls were still wee babies. I wanted them to learn English first because I'm pretty sure they'll grasp Filipino language really quick once they start to converse with other people outside of the house. Most probably, people outside will initially talk to them in the native language. But to my surprise, they learned the two languages simultaneously. I realized, they just need someone who talks in english and another who talks in Filipino in the house everyday for them to be able to learn and practice each language. I talk to the girls in English more often while their dad usually talks to them in Filipino. My side of the family uses the native language in the house while most of hubby's family talks in English. I guess these conditions gave them a good practice on both languages.

Magbasa pa

Tagalog and our local dialect..kasi ngaun ang mga bata puro English na..like mga pamangkin ko..7 years old na pero hirap mag tagalog and mababa grades sa Filipino..Ang English matutunan nmn nila lalo na sa media and schoil.. mas mabilis kasi maka adapt ang mga bata sa language kaysa pag adult na sila..

Magbasa pa

We taught our children to learn the English language first. I can see how beneficial it is for the child now that he'll be going to school. It's much easier to grasp the Filipino language as he grows up since most of the people outside the house are speaking the language.

FIlipino. I think that English can be taught in school so that can come later. Filipino, however, is our form of communication, well at least in my community. So I think it is more important for my child to learn Filipino first in order to socialize.

Filipino language muna before other languages. Pero cguro mas uunqhin ko dialect nmin, bhla c hubby matuto sa salita nmin para makapg usap sila ng anak niya haha. Pero may konti nman alam c hubby sa dialect ko.

I have a friend who's a UP alumnus, former teacher in UP and former teacher in a Montessori school. Mas hirap daw po matuto ang mga bata ng Tagalog kesa sa nasanay mag tagalog at saka mag aaral ng English.

Tagalog po..matututunan nman nla ang English s school and pwede dn nman kausapin ang anak mo ng English kaht paunti unti.

English - but I kinda regret it. Sana sinabay ko English and Tagalog. But my panganay is slowly learning Tagalog din.

VIP Member

hmm parang halos sabay ko lang naman itinuro kay baby

bisaya ,tagalog, english