For parents with local dialects aside from Tagalog, how did you introduce your kids to several languages (e.g your own local dialect, Tagalog and English)?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Me and my hubby are Cebuanos and started our family here in Manila. The first language we taught our kids was English. We did this by talking to them in straight sentences... without shortcuts or baby talks. As early as two years old, they could already speak clear sentences in English. We introduced Filipino by the time they could already walk. We had a Filipino hour at home. We started by identifying body parts and naming them in Tagalog. We also used flash cards with labeled pictures of sorts. Then numbers, colors, and so on. The same with our dialect, Cebuano. We have a Cebuano hour to develop their vocabulary in our native tongue.

Magbasa pa

We just use Filipino most of the time. Our household is Filipino-speaking so I decided to just train my baby into speaking our mother tongue. As for other native languages, we don't practice any. But I do speak to my baby in English as well. It's may be even confusing for him if I add another more so I just decided to stick between English and Filipino.

Magbasa pa