What language should we be speaking in the house, Tagalog or English?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

It really depends on you and your wife which do you prefer. But in my case I let my children learn first Filipino. Then followed by English when they attended pre-school. Now since most big schools prefer to English as their main Language. They never had a hard time speaking in both and we never encounter problems in Filipino subject. As I translate them in English or Filipino so they know the equivalent words. I also teach my children to speak to someone according to their preferred language. For example a playmate speaks well in Filipino, they speak to them in Filipino. If someone speaks English, they speak English.

Magbasa pa

Consider things like what language is mostly spoken in your house, or what language does the people around your kid use? Are his friends mostly Filipino or English-speaking? Does his school have an English Only Policy? Personally, I am teaching my child to speak our mother tongue. This is so he won't get confused and there wouldn't be a language barrier. I've heard that English-trained kids who are surrounded by Filipino-speaking people had a hard time socializing and expressing themselves. This can also be the same for vice versa.

Magbasa pa

I agree with what Jo-an and Mikaela said. It depends on what you and your wife prefer. At home, we use both. However, we agreed that if we talk using English/Filipino, we only have to use one language for the entire sentence and not taglish. Example: Gusto mo bang kumain ng agahan? Not: Gusto mo bang kumain ng breakfast? Unless the English word doesn't have a Filipino equivalent.

Magbasa pa

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-5888)