6 Replies

VIP Member

We were having a catch up that time. After discussing few work-related stuff, I surprised her with my 1st ultrasound print - while I was in tears. Crying because that time, I am still not so happy about my pregnancy due to lots of factors (unexpected, fears, parents disappointment at first, partner not ready as well) and I felt that sooner I am causing inconvenience to our team. As I am the sales manager, for sure my pregnancy could hinder me go visit clients in further cities, attend long hour meetings, do physical work that would exhaust me etc. But she scolded me and explained that there is nothing to worry about as my early announcement is a big help to plan out things and that my baby is a sure blessing. In all fairness, my boss took care of me back then. Sharing your pregnancy to your employer is a must. After all, your supposed relationship should be a win-win situation. You let her know your situation and she lets you know her expectations and manage your limitations in this crucial times.

For my 1st pregnancy, I arranged a special meeting with her and tell her the good news. She was very happy to receive the news. Throughout the pregnancy, she is very caring and concern about me. After I gave birth to my baby, she even dropped by and visited me in hospital. For my 2nd pregnancy, I did the same but to a male boss. He was very surprised as I just joined the company for 3 months. However, I was very lucky to have two understanding bosses throughout my pregnancy as they did not require me to go to site visits after I pregnant. Personally, I feel it is good to let your boss to know about your pregnancy as soon as you find out. This is to prevent any misunderstanding e.g. boss complains about your work performance since he did not know about your pregnancy and etc.

I would tell them as soon as I pass my first trimester. If I'm having a particularly difficult first trimester and need to be away from work often, I'd let them know earlier. Otherwise, after my first senester. This is important especially if you work irregular hours (ie shift work or travel constantly for your job). The management will have ample time to switch you to office hours or a ground position.

After the first trimester, for sure. Make sure to tell her on a day that's not too hectic. Schedule a chat in advance so your boss can make room for you on their sched. Don't forget to prepare answers to certain questions such as when you plan to go on maternity leave, or how you plan to get certain deliverables in ahead of time. This will help you have a hassle-free maternity leave.

Arrange a one on one meeting with them and tell them as soon as possible. Your pregnancy is bound to bring many changes to your body which may affect your performance at work. By explaining your situation to your boss they are in a better position to understand the place you are in and cut you some slack when necessary.

I think you should speak to your boss privately as soon as you find out about your pregnancy! Like Diana said, this would be a good way to prevent any misunderstandings and you can work out your work arrangements if you need to.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles