Whats one thing that Indian parents should change in their parenting style?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I guess, Indian parents need to calm down a bit. We panic a lot over little things. Say, if a kid drops a glass, whole house comes running to what has happened. We need to relax. And we should also learn to say no to other people when they interfere in how we deal with our kids, especially, in joint families. If say, you scold a kid for do not for something wrong he has done, it is your style of making him realise that he has done something bad. And when this is happening, if someone else interferes with their suggestion or preaching to the kid, we should have the guts to say, "No. Please let me handle this. It is between kid and me." Later, you may take the suggestion or listen what the said person wanted to say, but not when you have your one -on-on with the kid.

Read more

Parents should welcome technology & understand its benefits. Indian parents tend to ban things that they do not understand & this in terms of technology could hamper the childs progress in society. Teaching him the advantages of technology will help him in his academics as well. For example, I let my kid spend as much time with books & technology, and it has led him to be a quizzer! He enjoys taking part in online quizzes; says he loves testing his knowledge & learning new things. Just recently he asked me to participate with him in Dell Champs, a parent-child quiz competition. The winning team can win Rs.1 Lakh Scholarship! You should check it out too:http://bit.ly/2bbcqn0

Read more

I think we are over protective and paranoid. We do not let our child make mistakes and learn from them,rather we try and shield them most of the time. Secondly, food is also a weak point. we try and force feed them...cannot accept it if they skip an occasional meal!!

I think they need to chill a little bit. Stop preaching kids all the time. I have seen that most of the parents do not let their kids be and always telling, preaching and trying to dictate kids in the name of discipline. I think parents need to change this.

I'd say feeding forcefully. We need to realize that that one morsel of rice is not worth all the effort, and that if anything, it kills the signal to the kid's brain as to when his/her tummy feels full.

Indian parents should stop dictating their terms to their children. They should start treating their kids as individuals and respect their choices.