Parenting Style

Hi Mommies/Mommies-To-Be, Just wondering what is your thought on "beating your kids" as part of parenting style? My husband's family is more towards using physical punishment like beating when their kids rebel. Personally, I prefer to approach it through communication and holistic view. Maybe partly because I was raised in a different style by my parents. When I saw my own brother and my sis-in-law teaching their daughter is also more with love and explanation, like treating her to be more mature in thinking not driven by fear of getting punished. I used to discuss a lot with my husband on how I wish to raise our child next time but it rarely ended up well 😂 This is because he still believes that a kid has to experience the cane pain or punishment then they'll be able to learn more. I am not sure is it because his family is dominated mostly by males, cos all he has are brothers and nephews. For now, I try not to think so much of how he'll raise our kids but I am honestly quite worried everytime I witness his brother hit his kids so hard or talking harshly. I am a believer that parents should set good examples to their kids if we want our kids to have good manners too.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I mean everyone has their own style and preferences and I don't want to judge but I don't see any reason for a grown adult to raise their hands on people of any size. There's a lot of parenting books out there that speak to the detrimental effects of such behaviour and even though we were raised like that and seem ok, we have a lot of shortfalls that we don't realise. My friend was raising her hand on her kid who then started beating kids in school too - a lot of my friends are strict without raising their hands and their kids are smart, respectful and speak their minds well without being afraid or disrespectful. Raise your voice a bit to make a point or for their safety, yes but if you treat them as just another tiny human then I guess there are reasons to not strike them especially as they are defenseless. You can check out a lot of YouTube videos on Authoritative parenting and read up on "the book you wish your parents had read". there's no need to coddle but in my experience the cane only needs to come out if there isn't enough understanding or connection. Do what works for you though.

Read more

Both ways will work. Always talk to them, question them and explain what's right/wrong. If all fails then, cane would sometimes help. Not all the time. Disciplining doesn't mean all the being very soft spoken/lenient. We can give and take but not all the time. Kids nowadays not like our time. Use cane = abused, Use cane = not loving, Use cane = they hate us, Use cane = more rebellious. I always use method of scold, raise voice, explaining why/what my kids do wrong and should be done correctly. Reminding them every wrong actions has consequences. And ask them should it be repeated? What if this is reoccurrence? In this way, everytime when the child wants to do something will think of the right/wrong and what are the consequences.

Read more

The risk of being aggressive to your child to ‘discipline’ them is inadvertently teaching them that aggression is okay. What it would not teach them is - It’s okay to make mistakes, it’s more important how you correct them. - Your parents are a safe place you can come to when you need advice. The trusting relationship you build with your children would come in handy when they are older and are able to come and talk to you for their problems.

Read more