What should I do when my child who is 5 years old needs a afternoon nap but just refused to do so?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Normally children will skip afternoon nap after 4 years old. Some children will think afternoon nap is a punishment as they have less time to play. It is pretty normal. For me, if she really needs to nap, e.g got late night class, I will inform her she needs to nap a day before so for her to be ready first so to reduce the power struggles.

Read more

There are times when my 5 years old refused to nap even though she was lazing on the bed. After 30 mins, she is still tossing and turning and eyes big big, I will permit her to go out of the room to play. That is provided there is no night classes that day.

VIP Member

I will be firm. No matter what afternoon nap is beneficial for them, if not they will be very cranky and too tired before bedtime reaches. I be firm and lie down beside him and basically ignore him

VIP Member

There isn't a need to force the child to nap if he doesn't want to. However, you can tire out your child if you need him to fall asleep with some exercises or physical games.

He can refuse by all means. but you need to be firm. a routine will help greatly believe me.

thanks

Consistency is the thumb of rule in raising kids.