Special needs child in preschool

My kid is 3 years old in N1 preschool. She has a classmate with special needs who likes to hit others. Since the beginning of year, she has been bullied by this boy several times. What do you think we should do. Please don't ask me to change school as my girl loves this school and her classmates. There are also no vacancies around my area.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You should approach the teacher to be wary of the current situation and hoping that the hitting minimize. I had my daughter's classmate who is special need with autism. When he gets excited, he will tend to be loud and when he want to express something he will pinch his classmate by the cheeks or hands. But surprisingly he doesn't mix with his classmate much, he likes to be alone, he listen to instructions given. My daughter did complain to me and I approach the teacher. I wasn't aware of it until teacher explain it. Thereafter, everyday I keep reminding my daughter that is her special friend and her classmates special friend. Must be nice and learn to accept it. If any point he gets too excited and start pinching or squeeze hands, just let the teacher know. Another fact about the special need boy, he has to be in between two kids or he will wander around in class. He doesn't disturb his classmate unless where necessary as I mentioned. I hope this help, and if any chance that the teacher are not aware nor having difficulty to handle you may also share tips with teachers and tell your daughter so she might be able to understand more. While we don't accept bullying but as someone who has friends with kids that are special needs like ADHD, Autism, etc. I took the time to understand, learn and share.

Read more
9mo ago

thanks for sharing. the school and the teachers are aware, and some incidents where my kid suffered bruises were actually reported by the teacher. I did remind her many times that if that boy is alone without any teacher around, please don't play with him first. wait until the teacher is around, then play with him. which i believe she did follow as she is a very obedient kid. but today, the teacher reported to me that the boy threw a toy at my girl's head while she was napping. obviously, there should be nothing to be excited about during nap time. this made me very upset that the environment is not safe for her.

As a teacher, I suggest that we drop the word “bully” and teach children to use the specific words for what actually happened, eg push, kick etc. Some kids play rough. Some kids quarrel or fight with one another but are friends again soon after. You can feedback to the teacher what happened. Ask if a change in the classroom seating is possible. Teach your child to stay away or protect herself. Teach her about compassion and empathy towards her special classmate. Kids are stronger and more adaptable than we thought, if we allow them to.

Read more
9mo ago

as explained in the previous reply, today she got a bruise on her forehead because the boy threw a toy on her during nap time. based on records, she sleeps at every nap time, so there shouldn't be any playing. staying away is already taught, and the classroom looks small. I'm not too sure if changing another seat can solve the problem.