Wan ask currently i direct latch my 10 days old daughter, bt aft latching tried to pump but onli less dn 40ml if i nv latch her , i can pump to 60-80 ml if she nv drink as previously she was admitted in kkh for jaundice.. I worries if my 4 mnth ml finish , if i pump stil less dn 40ml how ? As i dun wish to giv her fm..

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mummy christina, just to share my milk supply was very low during confinement for bb no.2, due to stress in handling my no.1's hfmd and baby was admitted to hospital for jaundice. In the end I resorted to formula milk as I can only pump 30-40ml every 3 hours and my baby refused to latch after came back from hospital. However, I still continue to pump despite little milk. After settling down emotionally and logistically, I decided I want to do full latching to boost supply. My son was about 5 months old and I trained him to latch back after research on how to do it. It took about 1-2weeks effort. Amazingly, I can feel my boobs are full and hard again! My supply returned fast and furious after body accustomised to the demand. So, do continue to latch as frequent as possible as baby's suckling motion is the most powerful pump. Having enough rest and drink more hot beverages e.g. milo and horlick will help to boost supply.

Read more
8y ago

Hi, first I choose to train when baby is happy i.e. not too hungry. I offer him milk from bottle first, 10 to 20ml only and at the same time i pump my breast so to have a let down first then i place my nipple into baby's mouth. I used awkward position i.e

VIP Member

The reason why you pumped out 40ml only was because you latched her first. So she would have drank some of the milk already. Don't try to stress too much about your supply cos stress is not good. Try to pump after you latch on to build up your supply and to build a stash of frozen breastmilk at home. When you return to work, the important thing is to pump regularly. Don't miss a pumping session if possible. You can also try power pumping now if you can. This helps to increase supply too. Jiayou mummy!

Read more
Post reply image

Firstly, congrats mummy! Welcome to motherhood. The mummy above is correct, after DL your supply is less cause baby drank some already. If you want to increase supply of milk, you should ensure u pump or latch every two hours. Also you can drink fenugreek tea and put ECVO (extra virgin coconut oil) in your milo. Please also ensure ur drinking enough warm water or soup or red date tea. I hated the taste of confinment soup, so I just drank lots of warm water.

Read more
VIP Member

I find that virgin coconut oil worked for me to help with supply. You can add it to your drinks like oats or milo. When you pump, even when no milk comes out, it is telling your body that you need more milk, and your body will make more milk. If you don't pump cos you see no milk, then your supply will get lesser and lesser cos your body thinks you don't need more milk. So pump and latch more is the key!

Read more

So i tried to pump even no milk come out? I did drink many warm water .. I tried fenugreek seed wit water it did brin supply up bt nt sure if its becos my girl didnt latch wen she at kkh or becos i drink the fenugreek water..

Rose mary i use spectra 9s+ cos sometym if she nv on tym drink my milk i wil feel full .. Bt just worry tat if i go back work , my supply wil it maintain or someting.. As i saw some mummies their supply can b 180-200 ml

Christina - for 10 days old your supply seems ok leh. What pump you use? Anyway, here is how much your baby should be eating at this stage.

Post reply image