Is it too much to ask a 23 months old to wait for his turn to play with the swing at the playground? Or they are still too young to understand that ?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

no, never too young to know! although most toddlers do not have 'patience' because that's how a toddler will react, they do and will understand when you teach them to take turns. My boy goes to the playground often from 14 months onwards and now at 28 months, he will wait for his turns and invite others to play together too. just keep talking to him like he is an adult and explain why he should wait, and the playground is for everyone. however, when my little one was not vocal, after waiting for 5 mins i will step in and help to ask the other kid if he can let my kid play, and normally the other kids will be glad to share and take turns too.

Read more

It's good to let them learn to wait for a certain time. Meanwhile, explain to them that we need to wait for our turn while other children are still playing, we can play at other games or queue up for the swing. But of cos I understood same kids just will never let go the swing, so by all means we can left & redirect yr child that next time we can come again.

Read more
VIP Member

Nope, it's not too young - but it'll help if you explain why he has to do it and give him alternatives of what he can do while waiting :)

Of coz it's ok! They have to learn to share and wait. Eventually they will understand. I tell my LO dat everytime.

It is not too young ... my boy has learnt to wait for his turn since 13 months

Kind of late and hard especially if he is the only child.

They Definetly can understand. It starts from young.

TapFluencer

always good to incalcate good values from young

It's okay. They can understand.