Those with irregular menses, how do you conceive successfully? I find it difficult to know when do I exactly ovulate and my fertile period.

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Even with an irregular period, there are various ways to find out when you’re ovulating: 1) Chart your cycle - Even if you have an irregular period, marking the calendar helps you to detect any signs that regularly appear and allows you to come up with a pattern for your period. 2) Monitor your temperature with a basal thermometer first thing in the morning - Your temperature spikes when you are ovulating. So check regularly. 3) Spot changes in your cervical mucus - During the first few days after the menstrual cycle, the cervical mucus will be dry. it will begin to increase and become slippery, clear, and stretchy like egg white when ovulation is nearing. 4) Use an ovulation predictor kit (OPK) - An OPK can detect the presence of the Luteinizing Hormone (LH), which increases 24-48 hours before ovulation. Trying to get pregnant with irregular period or ovulation problems is possible via fertility drugs like Clomid and Serophene. Both contain clomiphene which induces ovulation in women with anovulation, a clinical condition that means you’re not ovulating. But your doctor will have to evaluate you first for other conditions that could interfere with ovulation, such as thyroid conditions or abnormalities of the adrenal or pituitary glands, before prescribing a fertility drug. You may also have PCOS, or polycystic ovary syndrome, which is the result of the imbalance of reproductive hormones. The imbalance creates problems in the ovaries that consequently lead to missed or irregular menstrual periods. In a healthy menstrual cycle, the ovaries are able to produce the egg that is released monthly during ovulation; with PCOS, the may not develop or be released as it should be. This then leads to infertility and to the development of cysts, or small fluid-filled sacs, in the ovaries. Treatment of PCOS for a woman who's trying to get pregnant involves fertility medications such as Metformin, Clomiphene citrate, Gonadotropins, and Letrozole. If medications don't work, then your doctor might suggest ovarian drilling - and research has found that 80% of women who opt for this procedure successfully ovulate while 60% are able to conceive. Sources: - http://americanpregnancy.org/getting-pregnant/track-ovulation-irregular-periods/ - http://www.webmd.com/infertility-and-reproduction/irregular-periods-and-getting-pregnant#1 - http://www.whattoexpect.com/preconception/pcos/

Read more

You can purchase clearblue digital ovulation test kits. It will tell you (using indicator of smiley face/no face) when is the best 2 days to intercourse during LH surges, i.e. most fertile period. So far, I have 2 friends who used this ovulation kits and managed to conceive in short period. This is more expensive than ovulation strips but they are far more accurate than strips one. If your mense is quite regular, you can purchase 7-test kits set instead of 20-test kits set. There another device which is more advanced is clearblue digital monitor which costs more than $300. This is more accurate as it will help you to plot a graph and identify the best time to intercourse to increase the chance of getting pregnant. I have used this one and successfully conceived my second baby after 1 cycle of tracking only.

Read more
Post reply image

Alternatively, you might want to try to find out the root of your irregular periods. Below is the list that *could* be the cause: 1) ecessive weight loss or gain. Although low body weight is a common cause of missed or irregular periods, obesity also can cause menstrual problems. 2) Eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia. 3) Increased exercise 4) Emotional stress 5) Illness 6) Travelling When I was 22, I had long period of irregular period, and when I started taking things slow and relaxing a little more, eventually it slowly got "regulated"

Read more

In the first 2 years of my marriage, i have irregular menses and was unable to get pregnant... Hence, i went to see a TCM physician. She advise me to chart my cycle together with my daily basal temperature for a few months. She also prescribed some TCM powder for me. After a few months, i really get pregnant. I have 3 boys now. Surprisingly my menses is more regular after the birth of my eldest boy. Wish u good luck.

Read more
VIP Member

You can actually take birth control pills to regulate your periods. It sounds very contradictory but I had irregular periods as a teenager and after going on birth control pills for a month, my periods started becoming regular again. http://www.parenting.com/article/how-birth-control-could-affect-your-fertility

Read more
VIP Member

There are so many ovulation detectivekits available in market .. soo can try with that.. Itreally helpful

Irregular menses could point to some underlying issues like PCOS, best to get it checked out.

thanks

Get an ovulation kit... Get help from doc too

You can chart your cycle using the calendar