Thinking of feeding my 10 month old baby an infant multi vitamin. she's on solids and bm but she refuses all cereals. so I'm worried about her iron intake. the multi vitamin has iron in it. Is this ok? (this will greatly reduce the stress I put on myself over her iron intake. haha.)

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

For children below 1yo, milk is still their main source of nutrients so there is no need to rush into giving solids/cereal at all! Some kids just don't like cereal, you can just offer other foods instead - there are many other foods that have iron in them :) Also, please do not give any multivitamins or supplements yet as your child is still young - most of these start only at 12-24 months old and usually it's because they're recommended by PD for health concerns.

Read more

Do not feed multi vitamins to babies without pd's consent. It may be too much for their liver to process . Natural sources of food should still be their main source of nutrients. Some babies go through some phases of food rejection. If she is taking solids why don't u give her food rich in iron. Iron doesn't have to come in the form of cereal. Give spinach , it is very good source for iron plus fiber.

Read more
VIP Member

You don't have to worry about the iron levels unless the doctor has raised an issue with it. Slowly give iron rich food instead. Proceed her to solids like porridge, cook with iron rich food. My son has low iron. PD given the iron drops he rejected it also. So i am giving by food. Iron rich food. Bringing up the level by food will be slow but it's still an improvement

Read more

Don’t worry. Below 1 year old, milk is still the main source. The rest are just supplements. Or maybe your baby don’t like cereals? Just like my Son. He prefer eating porridge than cereals. Probably don’t like mushy stuff

Super Mum

My PD prescribed iron and vitamin D3 for my girl at 4 months since she is fully breastfed. You can find iron supplement rather than multivitamins since I think only iron is needed, everything else breastmilk should have

Please stop the vitamins baby is too young. Less then a year old. You can consult your doctor about your worry and he will be able to let you know if it is needed to supplement baby with iron.

VIP Member

Give her more iron rich foods if you are worried about her getting enough nutrients. I wouldn't give vitamins unless a pd says my LO needs them.

VIP Member

below 1 year old main nutrients still comes from milk, and solid is supplementary. maybe you would like to explore BLW.

VIP Member

Below 1 year, milk is their main nutrition

VIP Member

milk is fine. dont worry mummy!