My sil kept comparing my kid with animal. My child is teething right now thus he will tend to "bite" and drool, and her comment is "why do you behaving just like a dog?" When baby smile at her, she says "aiyo u smile like a monkey" or she will say "are u a dog?" She is a school teacher somemore. I jus cant understand!

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi mommy I can feel you. As moms we tend to be very sensitive at times. I am sure your sister doesn't mean any negative connotation when she uses animals to describe you baby. Because babies are so small and cute and expressive, maybe she finds the closest thing to compare her to are small cute animals too. If you find t offensive do tell her to stop using animals to describe your baby. Sometimes I get irritated when other make fun of how my gal looks like a boy . Ok maybe they don't meant it but they already assume she is a boy and when I correct them they don't apologize or keep quiet. Instead they go on and say oh she looks like a boy!! I am like yes I know you just told me she is a boy , do you have to emphasize that to me again. Roll eyes.. Try not not take the comments to heart too much. The oath of motherhood is long, let's focus on our babies instead :)

Read more

Hi there. I think u can let ur sil know that u don't like it by saying like "where got like dog? My boy so cute". Tell aunty that we not not dog, we just teething only"....i don't think that she meant any harm, it could be a cute version of the animals that she is referring to (after all all the kids boooks have cute lively animals). I think no need to be too sensitive, just defuse the statements away ad after a few times, hopefully she will ge it

Read more

I imagine she is just joking and trying to bond / make light of the teasing... But juet I'm case, have a little word and then if it doesn't stop have a stronger word!

VIP Member

I would reply back, Dont say like monkey la, if really turn into monkey how? choi ar.. touch wood ar.. touch cement ar.... dont want horr..

She may not mean it and just trying to joke. You should just ignore. If she don’t receive any attention to that. She might just stop.

Just tell her that you don’t like it and tell her that she’s insulting you. If she still don’t get it, stay away from her.

VIP Member

she might be joking but do let her know about this. she might be a little insensitive and may need a reminder

To be fair, She might just be joking also 😀. I call my kids little monkeys too sometimes 😆.

Don't take it to heart, coz your sil seems not aware of the stages a child has to go through:)