Should i allow my 3 wk old baby sleep alone in his cot and in his own room? Or should a caregiver sleep with him in the same room?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It depends what you're comfortable with - like what Elisia says, some parents prefer co-sleeping (or at least in the same room) while others let their kids sleep in their own room from newborn. For me, we've been co-sleeping since day 1 - and he's 25.5 months old now. And yes, I'd agree that it keeps him more secured and it also allows me to attend to his needs as soon as I can - there also have been studies who found that co-sleeping reduces the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) too :) We started off on a sofa bed and switched to spring mattresses on the floor when he learnt how to roll (he fell once at night while rolling in his sleep and that was enough for us to change our bed), and recently changed to foam mattresses because the springs were getting worn out and he loved playing on the bed. We connect two super single mattressed together with a king sized bedsheet and there's no fixed boundaries like pillow or bolster separation between us - but he has his own area and he can also roll over to mine anytime he wants :)

Read more
VIP Member

There are different schools of thought and it depends which you identify with. Some say co-sleeping is good as it helps the child to feel secure. Others say sleeping on his own will help the child to be more independent. That said, my girl has been sleeping on her own in her own room (without night light) since she was born. She did co-sleep with her grandparents for a while for naps but I stopped that when she was around 10 months old. I have a baby monitor so I can hear her when she cries. I don't immediately go into her room when she first stirs from her sleep at night and cries. Just wait for awhile. Most of the time she can find her chou chou pillow and go back to sleep. Occasionally she will continue crying and that's when I go in to pat her. Unless she continues crying even with the patting then I will pick her up.

Read more

All my babies sleep in their own room, in a cot since newborn. What I do is install a baby monitor in the room so I can hear their cries. At the same time, I put a mattress next to them in case they are inconsolable and I need to spend a little more time with them in the baby room.

Yes. U should let him slp in his own room so tat he can learn to be independent when he grows up & wont stick to u when they need slp. But muz monitor him. Mine oso slps alone. We hv a baby monitor. U can consider getting one as u can monitor him even if u r in e kitchen.

You can allow baby to sleep in his own cot, do ensure you leave the doors open. The only worry is yiu do not hear babies cries. Its best to allow him to sleep on his own if he is okay. That will help greatly in establishing a routine for him.

VIP Member

you def do that. It's good to start a rountine while they are young. Have the door open and have baby monitoring kit on too. So you able to hear whenever they cry

Either way also can. Most importantly is that u can hear if baby cry - monitor or open door or someone in the room

Our boy has been in his own room since day 1. We manage his movements and cries through a baby monitor.

VIP Member

up to your comfort level! get a baby monitor too