For SAHMs, what is the monthly household income for you to be comfortable?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think sometimes due to circumstances, you have no choice but to be out working. And may not always be because of income. Not everyone has the opportunity to be a stay at home mum. Also you question is very vague, because it depends on lifestyle you are comfortable with. Eg, if you want your child to grow up in a condo or landed, go to private kindergarten, have a country club membership and save enough money for retirement and Childs university education - monthly household of around 20k is comfortable. If you don't need any of that, I think around 5k take home salary suffices to be comfortable.

Read more

When it was just 1-2 children, husband's pay was 1.8k before cpf deduction and our rental cost $138/mth. We lived comfortably. Just have to give up on eating out and fancy food, no cab rides, walk whenevever possible and no shopping for wants. Now husband is bringing home $1.9k/mth, rental is $322/mth excludes bills, 3 kids (no choice have to grab a cab if late due to the chaos kids cause.. lol), we are finding it hard to survive with his pay. So it depends on lifestyle and number of kids. I think for us now, need about $3k/mth at least.

Read more

Ill say tge same live with what you have. Simplicity is priceless, it's not something any and everyone can achieve, its also one if the best skill you can teach your child. Everyone and anybidy can live the life of riches but not a simple and humbled lifestyle. If you have more, great, if you dont its okay. :) i have no income as well. Speaking from ny personal journey. Then again, no one ever said its gonna be easy.

Read more

Unfortunately, i have no income. I make do with what i have.. In that case it doesnt stress me so much. In fact, it is possible to live simply with minimal finances. I guess that happens when there are not much options available? Aside to this as much as possible, if i could ever wish :)

No income. Just enough for groceries. Or sometimes just go supermarket with hubby so he will pay for groceries. My hub gave me the chance to be a sahm to take care of our kids, despite him being financially tight, so i dun wan to create more financial stress for him. 😂

Depends on your lifestyle. For me I need a more high end lifestyle - condo, car, country club membership, infant care, helper, shopping, dining out and travel. So minimum 10-12k a month. For savings and insurance prefer atleast 14-15k a month.

SAHM .. seriously it depends on ur lifestyle and shopping patterns to determine what the comfortable monthly income for u to stay at home

No real definition. It depends on what you need to provide for and whether you can manage it.