Parents allowance

How much of your monthly income do you all give to your parents after baby is born and you start servicing new HDB loan? I am giving about $400 and my brother gives $200. But they still said it's not enough for household expenses. Dad not working, mom working ad hoc jobs. Is this normal? I am still staying with my parents as waiting for my house. Pls advice. Thanks

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You should be able to do rough calculation how much your parents are paying for your share of household expenses so to determine if the $400 is sufficient. Then I guess anything additional you want to give them is an individual decision.

Super Mum

I guess it works differently for every family because we all have our own lifestyle and needs. Maybe you can have a talk with your parents to find out what they usually spend on and how you and your brother can help to contribute

Yup it’s not enough. You stay with your parents. Hmm… Utilities easily $200. S&CC let’s say $60. Monthly Wifi. Plus their own mobile lines. Groceries easily $600 a month for my household of 4.

3y ago

True.. But I also need to save up for my new house reno, house loans and all. Can't be that I'm paying for all the expenses of my parents house?

same amount as before having baby & hdb my parents 2k in-law from 1k reduce to $700 after I being retrenched last June 2020

Read more
3y ago

nope, I've no choice. my parents retired and I only have one younger sis.

about 10% of my salary

3y ago

400 is about 10 % of my take home already too..