Baby hair

Is it rly necessary to cut newborn hair during their 1st or 4th month? I find it so irritating that people have been pestering to cut my baby hair when she just turn a month old.. recently it happen again! And this time round they’re saying my baby needs to get the hair cut to botak during her 4th month! What year is it already and people still believing in this tradition.. while i googled, alot of people have been saying that they regretted cutting their baby hair as they turn out not smooth, growing patch by patch and growing slow!!!! Because of this incident i had an argument with my husband and he’s angry saying im demanding/stubborn. Lol. So angry

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We shaved our babygirl’s head on the 7th day after she was born as part of the traditional custom. I regretted cause now her hair is growing very slowly (and rather thin) & there’s a patch. She used to have very thick black hair! Lazy to argue with husband/his family, so I gave in. My sister however, didn’t do it for her 2 daughters. She was adamant to the idea of shaving off all their beautiful locks. All is good in the end. So it’s really up to you.

Read more
4y ago

I didn’t want to cut. But my fil and my husb insist on doing it. As i know when u shave it baby hair will not be smooth and when it grow back eventually will be slow... they purely believe in the tradition rather than the facts.

Lol same thing. I dont feel like cutting the hair botak.. just trim is fine for the tradition but my mil insited it will drop off if never make it botak now. My husband even worse.. is brainwashed by her. Like pls.. it is our own child we should decide what we think is right..

4y ago

Yes!!! I totally understand how u feel.. dk whats wrong w not cutting it botak.

No, not necessary. We didn’t cut our girl’s hair since newborn, because she was born with full head of hair, so Hubby and I can’t bear and didn’t want to cut it away... Now she is 2y10m, hair growing well and long. I only trim her fringe every now and then.

Read more
Post reply image

It depends on u. Dont bother so much about what others said. I chose to cut at 1mth as we are collecting his hair to do brush and chop from fengshui master..

My mother told me the same thing but we insisted not to cut as his hair damn nice.. so it depends highly on you..

4y ago

I wish i could make the decision. I stand really firm tht i didnt want my girl hair to be cut botak. Idk why my fil and hub insisted on doing this old tradition. Lol.

Super Mum

Not necessary. My daughter had her first haircut in her life at 3.5 yrs old. Lol

you can do it whenever you feel that is suitable for your baby

Didn’t cut. But my baby’s hair is v little still....

VIP Member

No, it’s not necessary at all.

We cut her hair after 6 months