FIL making fun of our child’s name

We recently informed my husband’s parents that we have decided on the English and Chinese names for our child. Being Chinese-ed, they complained that the English name was a mouthful, and my FIL even made fun of the Chinese name (he said that people are bound to make fun of our child in school with that name). I WAS SO FURIOUS, but decided to ignore him since my husband didn’t say anything as well. The more I thought about it, the angrier I became. I felt that he didn’t respect us enough as parents of his grandchild. I just didn’t want to rant to my husband because they are his parents after all. Anyone faced the same issue naming their child?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

hi, mine was a bit diff. when im pregnant w my first daughter, my mother in law has a name for my baby but i alr got a name for my baby and i choose that name because have meaning and she always responded by kicking at my belly when i call her name. and my mother in law keep pestering me to change the name and when shes born, i put the name as what i want it to be and she was so furious. idk if im wrong at this but she make me feel bad for making her angry.

Read more
4y ago

It’s your baby so it should be your day on what name to give. If mil wants to use the baby name, then she should go give birth to another baby girl herself.