FIL making fun of our child’s name

We recently informed my husband’s parents that we have decided on the English and Chinese names for our child. Being Chinese-ed, they complained that the English name was a mouthful, and my FIL even made fun of the Chinese name (he said that people are bound to make fun of our child in school with that name). I WAS SO FURIOUS, but decided to ignore him since my husband didn’t say anything as well. The more I thought about it, the angrier I became. I felt that he didn’t respect us enough as parents of his grandchild. I just didn’t want to rant to my husband because they are his parents after all. Anyone faced the same issue naming their child?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

That's why we don't plan to tell anyone else what we will name our child after he is born. We don't need anyone else's option and People are much less judgemental then.

Hey, As long as you and your husband are happy with your child's name, it should be fine. Just don't think about it too much and be happy

VIP Member

Fortunately, nobody made fun on my child's name. You have the right to name your baby as his parents. No matter what they say.

We're planning to tell baby's name during naming ceremony (after 1 month of birth) only to avoid situations like this.

Super Mum

It is good to consult parents for names . Some parents are Chinese educated and can give advice

4y ago

My husband and i did Google a few names and felt that we liked the sound of the name we chose because it’s a girl kind of name, just uncommon in SG. I just super facepalm when my FIL have that kind of comment instead of asking why we chose the name when he’s Chinese-ed.

Super Mum

I don't think u need to worry too much on the making fun

Only tell ppl the name when the baby is born

4y ago

Would have preferred it that way but we may give the impression that we’re disrespecting the elders (as you know, it is very easy to offend our elders).

TapFluencer

What are the names?