Dealing with ppl who have comments on my baby name

Hubs and I really like the name Forest (to us, it means free spirited) for our baby boy. But our parents and in laws are against it. Saying that its too american, not nice, etc. Even our friends were like “really meh, you want to name him that”. Not going to lie… I was quite annoyed and affected by their comments. Should I change baby names or stick with the one we prefer 😮‍💨

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I grew up having my name played all the time in school and I hated it and eventually changed my name when I was 16. When I introduced myself during ice breaking, i had people laughing at my name. (Not sharing my name but I was called bikini, Winnie, Lamborghini etc) Because of this, I hated being called in class, I started to sit all the way at the back in hopes that my teachers don’t call me up to the board. I don’t participate. So when I had my own kid, I made sure to name her properly (trial and error to make sure her name has nothing to be made fun of/similar pronounciation) especially when her dad has a funny surname. While kids are getting smarter (and no manners) these days, no doubt your preferred name will definitely be played at least by one classmate.. (I had a friend named basil btw….) I would use forest as a middle name because it’s a beautiful name.

Read more

Hi, may want to consider that this is a name that your child will have till adulthood, will he be proud of his name? For me when naming my child the meaning is impt as well. Maybe take into consideration other names as well but if in the end you and your husband still keep going back to Forest and you guys really like the name you shld stick with it. (:

Read more

Your child your choice, dont have to listen to what people say. Because people will still say no matter what. So just ignore even if it annoys you, just stand firm on your ground. Anyway would you rather give your child a name that you and husb HAVE TO choose just to please others ear. Maybe should just keep baby name private until baby is born 😊

Read more

You have the right to name your baby however you like but would need to also take note if the name will have them being teased when theyre in school or even bullied. As kids are all very and always bully others.

People will always have something to say. I’m planning to give my girl a Hebrew / russian name. But it got my father started on politics and the Russian Ukraine war 😂 I’m still gonna name her that anyway.

9mo ago

Ukrain war 😂

True is your baby you have a say to give whatever name. However, you might want to reconsider if this name will cause any teasing to the kid when he grow up. Think of this aspect too. 🙂

its your own baby, who cares what others think. Name your baby however your like mummy, its your choice and your entitlement 😊 and your hubby also likes it, go for it !

Dont have to bother what people tink, is ur own child what. Anyw my colleague’s daughter also call forest. Haha. Dun c anyting wrong

It is the name I wanted for my baby if it’s a boy :) It’s a beautiful name.

TapFluencer

if both of you really have a strong preference for it, go for it!