Please share your experience on labour without epidural.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I delivered vaginally without epidural and only used laughing gas. It was quite funny actually. I told the nurses that I wanted the epidural when I was 5cm dilated, but they told me that the doctors were busy with a c-section, so they gave me laughing gas to help with the contractions. They told me that epidural could only be given before I was 7cm dilated. However, the next time they checked me, I was already 9cm dilated and there was no time, plus I felt that I could handle the pain without epidural. I would say the experience is very interesting. I relied heavily on laughing gas. The thing is that it takes a few seconds to take effect but the effect only lasts for a few minutes so there is a gap where you really feel the pain. I remember rubbing my foot against the bed repeatedly because it was so painful in between when I was waiting for the gas to take effect again. Laughing gas is a drug which makes you feel "high", but you're still conscious and aware of everything that's going on. For my next pregnancy, I won't use epidural as well. I believe not taking the epidural sped up my recovery time.

Read more

I did not have epidural for both of my deliveries. I used breathing strategies (long breath and short breath management for different type of pain). If you do not wish to have epidural, you need to have a very strong determination and communicate your intention with your husband. For my 1st delivery, my husband kept asking me to take although I insisted not to. For my 2nd delivery, my husband knew my intention and he supported me thoroughly. I am lucky that both of my labor were short (3hours for 1st and 20mins for 2nd). However, if my labor is longer (more than 24 hours), I might opt for epidural.

Read more

For my 1st labour, I didn't opt for epidural and was induced because I was already 40+ weeks pregnant. I only had laughing gas like Diana, but my god, it was so extremely painful, it is true that no words can actually describe child birth. I rememebered cursing and swearing and pushing, and suddenly I heard my baby cry and it was all in a whirlwind afterwards. I was definitely too numb from the pain to feel any stitches hahaha.

Read more

To add on, I used laughing gas only. The peak contractions pain actually very similar to the stomachache before diarrhea. After it went off, you will not feel pain and need to be ready for the next wave of contraction. So far, I used breathing strategies to distract myself from the pains as my energy all concentrated in the breathing.

Read more
6y ago

Thanks a lot for explaining how the pain feel like :)

Promo terbesar expert care sudah dimulai, diskon hingga Rp.100.000 sedang berlangsung di shopee, ada juga voucher diskon 100% alias gratis bagi bunda yang beruntung. Buruan cek di https://shope.ee/9UfEMMqqTg (id-2724)

thanks