My parents seem not supportive of me giving bm to lo. Does any of you having the same issue as me? How do I encourage them or tell them so as to change their mindset.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My parents weren't supportive either. If your parents are in their 50-60s, they were born in a generation where mass media told them that formula is best - better than breast milk and fresh milk! As a result, most of them fed their children formula until they're even 8-9 years old - and that sometimes get passed down too. I'd say that it wouldn't be easy, but you just have to positively educate them about feeding breastmilk. If they're helping to look after your child, teach them the right methods on how to prepare and deal with breast milk too! My parents looked after my son when I was in school, and I found out that they went to buy formula (even though I had chilled breast milk in the fridge) - ended up wasting my breast milk because they said "it was too troublesome to prepare". I stood my ground and hid the formula away when I went to school, they bought another one and I threw them both away. It took a while, but I convinced them it was better in about 3 months or so!

Read more

When I had my first child, my mil call me all kinds of names and make harsh remarks about me breastfeeding my kid. She even said I am "slut" who love to give free show to other men when i nurse in public. But who care about them. I have breastfeeding my kids for 5 years now and my kids are Super healthy and smart that what important to me. What I wanted to say is just focus on what is important to you and ignores what others has to say. You can't make the whole world support you, there are surely people who think otherwise.

Read more

I think for breastfeeding is the best for the kids. I wanted to do a fully breastfeed mum but I am not able to as I have low supply and I breastfeed until 5 mths my lo refused BM. Before my lo is born I have talk things out with my in law and hubby that no matter how tired I will try my very best to breastfeed for our lo. Even if I have a 2nd one I will also try my very best to breastfeed if possible.

Read more

Actually why do you want to change their mindset? You are the Mother and you make the final decision for your child, whether your parents like it or not. Older generation were "educated" that formula is the best. So no matter how much you want them to change, most of the time, they won't..

7y ago

For me is not my parents but my In laws. Said that my bm is not good coz I'm not eating confinement food. Keep asking me to feed formula, etc etc.. even blame my bm when baby didn't poo for close to 10 days. even when hubby has already tell them that we are feeding my lo bm and explain to them the benefits, they still don't believe.. my hubby was also fed up. But we learned to ignore after that, coz we made the decision already.. my mil is the caregiver for my lo. what is more jmpt is your hubby's support.

VIP Member

basically ignore. even my own husband wasn't supportive of me breastfeeding at all. i just told them, pay for the formula for life or keep quiet. i know what's best for my child. just ignore mummy

Read more

I know what u mean. my mum was like that initially. so I show her article from WHO n etc. n get those aunties who r pro breastfeeding to tell her. haha