aggressive toddlers?

Parents, would like to hear your views on this. How do you teach your kids to deal with other aggressive toddlers? My 17mo had 2 such encounters over the weekend. At this age, he won't know fully understand but I want to explain that it's not ok for other kids to push him (especially if it was from deliberate aggression) but at the same time tell him he shouldn't retaliate by doing like wise. He hasn't done the latter btw, he just cries and he's gentle by nature, wouldn't hurt a fly.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I feel that toddlers usually resort to actions as they can't speak to express themselves... i would carry the crying baby first and shake my fingers to tell the other kid a "no no" then observe if there is anything the aggressive kids need and give... i think it will be good if there is someone watching them play and correct on immediate basis... they learn things very fast btw

Read more

I tell the bully off in front of my firstborn in her position as she can't talk yet. Afterwhich, we did role play at home over the incident and ask her how should she reacts toward such bully and can she be a bully. For my second child (17 months), she just modelling from her jiejie and will tell the bigger kids no if they snatch or push her.

Read more
7y ago

That's really useful, didn't know abt such comfort zones until today. So far he hasn't had any meltdowns so I've not had to deal with it yet but this comes in handy. Thanks mama!

My 13 Mths old have met with bullies too! They didn't care that he was still young ... n those who bullied him aren't toddlers anymore! 4-6 yrs old!!! Feel like getting him to self Defence!

7y ago

I just tell him those children are naughty and stay away from them ... some of the children are so daring that even when I'm just a step away from my boy, they can still push or snatch things away from him ..once I even managed to video the pushing cause I was videoing my boy, n he walked towards n touch a seat which a girl was sitting on... n I Guess is the Sister of that girl who wasn't too happy that he touched the seat, pushed him

VIP Member

Remove your child from that situation first. Explain to him at another corner. Rather then staying put there. He may be clueless. So getting him out there is the most obvious signs

Read more

I would remove the child from the situation. Otherwise I would continue to tell him. kids are smarter then we think.