My 18mo boy had 2 unpleasant encounters with toddlers recently. One pushed him down and another choked/strangled him from the back with his arm. He's v mild mannered and doesn't rough play or retaliate and ends up crying. Since then he'll run away or towards me whenever other kids approach him for fear that the same thing might happen. It saddens me to see that coz I want him to play with peers. He hasn't been to sch yet so he's mostly at home. I've tried talking to him to tell him it's ok but he still seems afraid. Is there anything I can do?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Try role play with him on the scene and guide him how to react. Normally, I will not say "it's ok" when such incident happened. Instead I will ask how he is feeling and acknowledged it, then share how I will feel in the same shoes then explain what is the best way to handle in future. Also I allow my children to have a comfort zone, we don't force him to play with other until he feel safe and comfortable. Kids are like little adults, sometimes we need time to warm up too.

Read more

Toddlers are quite rough. He is too young to play with others who are rough. Find mild mannered kids or wait till he is older.

VIP Member

where were these encounters at?

7y ago

Thanks dear for the insight and sharing your experience. Yup I don't take the "retaliate when provoked" approach so I'll do the same as what you mentioned. :)

Did it happen in school?

7y ago

No one was in a church family room and the other was outdoors. He's not been to school yet.