One of the many Filipino urban traditions that my in-laws practice whenever a visitor greets my cousin's baby is to say "pwera usog" or "pwera bati". Do you also practice this?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

While I hear many folks say these often whenever there are babies around, I never get to imbibe them. I may have said these once or twice before, but never got to doing it again. I guess old folks say these because of the fear that a child may be afflicted with a psychological disorder or any illness when greeted by a stranger. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usog

Magbasa pa

Kapag may "nausog" ka, ibig sabihin virus carrier ka. Nagkataon lang na mas malakas ang resistensya mo kumpara sa "nausog" mo lalo na't bata pa ito. Pansinin nyo, tayong mga pinoy lang ang naniniwala sa usog, sa western countries naman walang mga ganyan e. Laging may science behind the illness ng isang tao at kung paano mo ito nakuha.

Magbasa pa

Yes! that is usually the practice in the province. Actually I don't believe in it, but there will be no harm done if you practice it, right? So I just let my grandparents and other people do it especially when we go out of town. I find it weird but you have to respect Filipino traditions :)

I really don't know if it's true or not. But I also say it when we encounter people we don't know and they seem so fond of my children.

yes i believe in that kasi my nausog na ako dti at nung nilawayan ko ayun nwala agad pagsusuka nya