Anyone has a MIL like mine?

Not sure if this is common but I have always imagined MILs to be always hovering around their grand children? Want to care for them, watch them, play with them etc. But my MIL does not seem interested at all? Not even want to push the stroller... Only sees her grandson from afar, keeping a distance? Only FIL interested, always hovering over grandson, watching him, playing and carrying him...

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Usually if it's a first baby and a son,both families should be happy. Because Chinese culture old timer prefer to have a son as their first new born/grandson. Likewise,maybe she kept a distance not to interfere how you took care of your son. Some MIL once they also include themself taking care of their grandson/kids at the same household. This cannot that cannot very pantang or the opp way. Mum say no, grandma say can. Its better off she kept a distance for now. Maybe once your child learns to walk or talk it will be a diff scenario.

Read more
VIP Member

Speaking from MIL perspective...we love our grandchildren (no doubts about it) just because I don't wish to cradle, push stroller, hugs and kiss every 2 secs does not mean I love them any lesser...its just that as I grow older I need more calm and peace (children can be hyper)...I have done my part now I just want to relax and enjoy the grandkids on my terms. So don't overthink it too much and enjoy your time with your children and know that we MILs / grandma loves them too and ready to help (If needed)...💕

Read more

It really depends on their characteristic sometimes as a mother themself they scared that might offend the other party if they took much attention on your child from u. But it really varies as my case both my mom n in law took turns in caring for my kids during weekend. im a stay at home mom so its just how u set ur boundaries with them.

Read more
Super Mum

I don't see this often but maybe it's a blessing in disguise 😝 I've heard of worse MIL stories where they're overly controlling. My MIL is more doting on her other grandson (SIL's son) and doesn't focus much on my daughter haha but I don't really care.

4y ago

Indeed is a blessing! My MIL doesn't have much actions... but she sure knows how to comment verbally 🤪

Isn't that good? So much better than having a MIL who purposely feeds my child junk food when i have said no so many times. Blatantly ignored me and kept feeding my boy and also keep giving him hp to watch videos. Rly kns

4y ago

Haha sounds like my FIL instead 😜

let's all agree that majority will have problem with their MIL. only happens to daughter in law..

VIP Member

Maybe she is phobia of something or don't want to have any commitment. Happened to my sister's MIL

4y ago

Yeah

My MIL is not interested in any of her grandchildren too.. she didnt even wanna see them.

Wa... To be honest I wish my mil like that. But my mil keeps want to carry 😔

4y ago

Honestly, no... No congrats nothing, not even when she knows its a boy (very traditional family)... I only uncovered incidentally that she's happy it's a boy when I overheard her telling her friend in Cantonese that "it's a boy you know!!"

Sometimes it's better if they dont intervene

4y ago

It is... I'm just curious why my MIL behaves like tis 😅