My wife just does not let me take care of the baby. My baby is 5 mths old now. It drives me nuts and I tried reasoning with her but she is becoming very hard to deal with. What do I do so that she trusts me more?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Find out the reason why she is reluctant to let you handle the baby? You can also start with simple tasks around the house to show her that you really want to help. Washing the dishes, helping with the laundry, cleaning the house.. then move on to helping her as she attends to the baby, like when she bathes the baby, stay around to pass her the towel and hand her the baby clothes. Keep her company while she nurses the baby and then offer to hold the baby after she is done. I think by doing these, you can slowly get her to be more open to the idea of letting you take over some of the tasks. It is probably just her mother instincts, hormonal changes, and tiredness that is getting in the way of being rational. Instead of just reasoning with her, ask her what are her concerns so that you can demonstrate (through actions) that you are capable. Hang in there! I can understand how frustrating it must be for you but I think you will need to be patient with her.

Read more
8y ago

Thank you so much for your anwser and encouragement. It helps!

Bro, this is call parental gate keeping. May I know if your marriage is on the rocks? I heard of such cases where the woman have the intention to divorce and deny you access to your own child. Basically after she is ready, she will file for divorce. She will say you never take care of the child before and is not suitable to be a care giver. You feeling unfair would say, that is because she don't allow you to care for the child. You might think that the court will give you justice but to the judge you have admitted to NOT taking care of the child before, hence care and control will certain goes to your wife. Child Custody issue, is certainly not about bringing justice to either party. With the child in hand, the woman will claim for the matrimonial home and a lot of nonsense stuff. Oh well but maybe she is just depress and worried you don't know how to care for your child. Either way, get involve now!

Read more

It happens with new mothers. It's either stemming from her own anxiety over handling the child or she is probably not confident that you would be able to handle the baby properly. My husband made sure he did the little things like reading up and discussing articles about parenting, helping out with the baby's laundry and other baby stuff. A lot of it he didn't have to do really...but when I spoke to him he said that these are ways that help him be more involved. It also helped that he was involved throughout the pregnancy since the beginning

Read more

Actually, last time I also reluctant let my hubby take care of baby as I didn't trust him....slowly, I see he's actually good and gained my trust. Now at 2, I let hubby bring our toddler out alone.. strengthens the bond between them too. Do know that sometimes as a new Mommy, we get over protective. Just be understanding and talk to her about ur feelings. Let her oversee as u do things for baby so she sees u are good or can correct u. Don't give up. It's so good u want to be more involved!

Read more

Let's pin point the reason. don't take care of baby but care for her stuff like prepare baby bed @ night, get something for baby or wife twice or thrice a week like nice wear or toy or hand gloves or anything that u think fits ur baby or your wife will love to see. make some funny gesture to make baby play with u.. let your wife notice that and figure out what she reacts to best.

Read more

the first thing would be to talk to her but i am sure you already did that. other than that, if she has a problem with you handling the baby as such, try doing things that are meant for the baby. or, you can tell your wife that you can help change the baby in front of her, or help put her to sleep.

Read more

Did she undergo some trauma before? I did not let anyone handle or carry baby including my husband. Till this day i never knew why i felt that way.

VIP Member

Does she not let you or not let any one take care of the baby?

8y ago

Apart from our nanny and MIL, she does not let anyone else handle the baby for more than few mins.