Rant... Should I let my mil take care of my baby

The initial plan was for my mil to take care of my baby when I go back to work. However, after she temporarily stay with us for the past month, I start to worry. She doesn't seem to want baby to be close to me. Everytime I carry baby she will want me to pass to her or put him in the rocker. When I want to wake him for feeding, she will want me to let him sleep so she can continue to take care of him. Yet she can wake him up to play. Everytime I want to be close to baby, she will ask me to go do other things. Very double standard... I am also direct latching my baby which she keeps on want me to pump out let her feed. A couple of times, i was latching baby and she will just open the door despite my husband telling her not to do so. Recently baby is in the leap week and clings to me. My mil was not happy and kind of blame me and compare my baby with my sil (her daughter) kids. I start to worry if I really let her take care. Will she make my baby closer to her than me... #firstbaby #advicepls #depressionisreal

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Thank you for sharing your story to let me know that I am not alone..I faced the same situation as you, regardless whether it's about he sleeping or playing or breastfeeding episodes you mentioned but I had her help during maternity for 3 months and I stopped earlier by 1 month than planned as I really regretted it as my husband refused to step in and help after I had explained to my mil almost 5-6 times during daytime. he even threatened a divorce as he feels his mom is doing the best for the baby even for the breastfeeding portion.. Despite so, I really really appreciated her help. Things I learnt from this episode is: tell mil that I really really wanted to fulfil my duties as a mother, if she doesn't get it, tell my husband to help to explain as they will know their mom's character to best, if he doesn't help, tell my mil firmly what I needed as a mom (to breastfeed, to play with him, and perform other motherly duties for the child). the key word is being firm about what we wish to do for/with our children because we as moms will want best for our children.

Read more
Super Mum

Hi Momma, no matter what, your baby will be yours and not hers. There is an unexplainable bond between mother and child. Don't stress so much and you can insist on doing wat/how you want with your child. This feeling you have is normal. I was like that too, even with my own mom. As for her comparing with your nieces, she probably say these because it is facts that every child is diff. Dont stress too much k.

Read more