My 3yr old son doesn’t want to go to school suddenly. He has been enjoying school all this while and one day just came back and refused to attend school. What should I do?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's not normal. Could be any of the following reasons Had a fight in school with a friend Was compared or undermined with someone by the teacher Is scared about something Someone may have put some fear or threatening Doesn't like a teacher or the maid or someone else in the school who he feels is in authority Someone may have shouted or beaten him. Please don't force him to go to school for sometime. Observe him very carefully. After a few days ask him while he's playing or eating or watching TV as to why he doesn't want to go to school. Even at night if he has a routine to listen to a bed time story then create a story about how a boy didn't like to go to school and one day how he told his mom and dad as to why he doesn't like to go to school. This will nudge him to open up to you. Listen carefully as he speaks. Don't jump to conclusions while he's talking. Even if the reason he gives is totally ridiculous to you or unbelievable, still u keep ur cool as this reason is valid reason for him. Don't create conclusions based on what the school says or teachers say or other parents say. Try to get the full picture by piecing together what all these say along with what ur kid says. Children can sense easily if parents trust them or not. If right now itself u show that u believe others over him he will never come to you even when problem get serious in his life

Read more

it is possible that something happened in school that triggered this reaction. it could be anything, maybe another child did something, maybe the teacher spoke to someone in a loud voice, he feels sleepy or tired and wants to be with you, or anything for that matter. 3 year olds can get upset about so many different things! like all the other parents mentioned, please speak to the teacher. and also try and say nice things about the school to your kid and see if he comes up with why he does not want to go anymore.

Read more

yes speak to his teacher. or talk to your son and ask him if anything happened to him in school. there must be something that happened in school that triggers this. my son happened before. my parents keep prompting him and he said 1 of his classmate bullied him. i spoke to his teacher and also get the whole story. thereafter my son is ok with school .

Read more

This is very normal as my 6 years old daugther still doing it sometimes (she likes the school). There are some factors e.g. - there are bullies in school - miss daddy and mummy especially if there is a change in the family eg. daddy is travelling for work - overtired due to activities in the previous days - after long holidays

Read more
VIP Member

Liked the rest say, do check with the teachers, is there anything happen today. If ur LO can start talking well, it'll be good to ask him instead. His answer is more truthful than what teacher can tell u at times.

Maybe you would like to speak to the teachers to find out if he is also behaving different in school?

Ask him if someone's bullying him at school. It might be a reason.

thanks