School or work ?

My 3 yo kid doesn’t want to go to school after 3 weeks of not going to school due to illness. I was supposed to start working on Monday but because of this I have to turn down the job offer. He is ok to go for half day but not full day. He keeps saying he doesn’t like to go for too long. So my plan now is to let him go back to half day and when he is ready then go for full day again. What will u do if u were me ? Am I doing the right decision ? I am a sahm for 2 years and was excited to get back to work but because of this issue I can’t get back to work again. I’m so stressed and do not know what to do.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

hugs to you, mummy! its normal! my 2yo also like this when we were hit with covid and hospitalizations, for 2 weeks. 3 days before we planned to send her back to school, we reminded her that we will sending her to school on this day. ofc she did protest and said no no no and will cry some time. we kept reminding her over and over that 3 days. we made school a place for her to have fun and learn. like 'its okay! you can play and learn with your friends and teachers! mummy/daddy will fetch you after that ok?' we keep encouraging her and also said that 'mummy and daddy need to work so you need to go to school ok?' we dont sugarcoat our words bc their age understand so well. encourage facts on that morning, need to toughen ourselves as they will protest to wakeup 😅 tested our patience and almost gave up. but bopian we need to work so need 'force' her shower to go school 🤣 endured all the crying and sayang sayang all the way to school. main point is, dont give in. be firm but also acknowledge their feelings. stay strong, mummy. you can do this 💪🏼

Read more
2y ago

We are the one who suggested half day and teacher is ok with this. She is also trying her best to help my son to feel more comfortable at school. I really hope he can adapt well and get along with his friends at school as teacher did mention that he prefer to be alone instead of playing with friends. Haiz. Anyway, thank u so much for ur encouragement mummy ! Hugs.

I guess our LO are smart. Once they see us caving in, they try this empathy blackmailing again and again.. Hehehe. I was the more relenting one but my hubby taught me, just leave the kids with the teachers once at the sch door, they wil eventually stop once inside and once they see their friends. And it's true. It makes them braver and independent. Until primary and Secondary sch our children didn't have issues like these anymore. They were happy to go to school and meet their peers.

Read more
2y ago

I wanted to let him continue full day but my hubby insisted not to push him so hard. So now he is going back to half day again. Haiz. Will slowly to convince him to go full day then.