My 13 month old suddenly fell off from the changing table and she landed on the floor on the back of her head. The sound was hard like "piak" sound and he cried on off. He fell asleep shortly after. What should I look out for? Should I bring him to A&E now?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

So sorry to hear that. Hope baby is okay now. As soon as the accident occurs, and up to a few weeks after, it's crucial to watch for confused speech, lethargy, blurred or double vision, difficulty with balance or walking, vomiting, headaches, and pupils that are bigger than normal or of unequal sizes. Ask your child whether he feels nauseous, has trouble tasting or smelling, or hears a ringing in his ears. With babies who aren't yet walking or talking, danger signs include bulges at the fontanelles (the soft spots on the front and back of the skull), vomiting, lethargy, difficulty feeding, and high-pitched crying. Head injuries can even leave a dent in the skull. If you notice any of these symptoms, call your pediatrician.

Read more

Oh dear, hope there is nothing serious in your child. If your child shows any of the following signs after head injuries, call your doctor or take her to the hospital. -Disorientation, difficulty arousing -Unusual breathing while sleeping -Crossed eyes, unequal pupils -Persistent vomiting -Increasing paleness -Oozing of blood or watery fluid from an ear canal -Convulsions -Off balance while sitting, crawling, or walking http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/health-concerns/aches-pains-injuries/head-injuries

Read more

once your baby wakes up i would suggest try playing with baby. if he feels normal, not cranky and does not vomit, then everything should be fine. for any other such incidents, avoid letting baby fall to sleep immediately after a fall, as it can help you notice any signs that may require you to take baby to the doc. if you feel that your baby is lethargic, is not communicating as well or is pukish, go to the doc immediately

Read more
VIP Member

was he sleepy after the fall? Able to arouse him to wake up from his sleep? If no, please bring him to the emergency now!

thanks