I feel so upset, I hurt my baby

Yesterday my baby was 4 months old. MOTN he flipped twice after I changed his diaper while I wasn't looking and landed on the floor. He cried when he fell, his face hit the pail on the floor. Luckily he landed on his hands and his head did not hit the floor. Later he was on tummy time and I guess he was tired and he fell forward, his face hitting on a toy I placed there for him to see. He did not cry, but his face was a little red. Later my mil asks me to cut his nails, but it's a little short and I accidentally cut his flesh and he cried. It bled v long as well. 😭😭😭 I feel like a useless mother. Can't do anything properly... #firsttimemom

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi fellow mama, it’s totally normal. We are all learning how to be parents and it’s normal to have some hiccups along the way. I hurt my baby with the clothing clasp when she first came home (I was so guilty), it was my first time changing my baby.. I didn’t know newborns don’t have to cut their nails and I accidentally cut her flesh at 1mo, I panicked like hell. Then I realized I could use a nail filer instead since their nails are soft. At 10 months old, she fell off from my bed standing, flat down to the floor (this was her first fall) as I didn’t managed to grab her in time. So I learn to be more alert and not let her be near the edge of bed. Fast forward…. Now she’s 2yo, as long as the bumps are not serious and life endangering, I just let her be when she falls or knocks onto stuffs. I will let her try to get up herself and tell her it’s ok to fall, just be careful next time. Take it easy, don’t blame everything on yourself. Falling and bumping onto stuffs as they grow are unavoidable and it will still happen, regardless if they are at home, outside or even in school.

Read more

Hi mummy, i think alot of mummies faced the same thing! My baby turned 4 months too and keep flipping even in his sleep and yesterday he flipped and was face down almost suffocated! And very normal for them to hit their face with toys when tummy time. And yes i rememver accidently cut his flesh when trying to trim his nail until alot of blood. Please dont feel useless or feel like a bad mum. We’re all still learning.

Read more
3mo ago

maybe can try the grinding kind instead of cutting? can do when baby is sleeping and not too scary!

S*** happens. Cry to release tension and move on. I’m the type of person who will find solutions to prevent things from happening again. Eg, consider filing baby’s nails instead of trimming. And I only place soft toys in my baby’s playpen.

It's OK my dear.

TapFluencer

🙏💕