pregnancy milk - yay or nay?

Hi, is it a must to drink mummy's milk during pregnancy? Because I find it abit heaty and I stop drinking for like one month. But my friend told me that it is important to drink until I give birth.

32 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is NOT a must, it is a good to have for some people. Being pregnant would mean that u require slightly more of some nutrients as compared to normal women - folic acid, calcium, zinc, iron etc. But if ur Gyne has prescribed to u supplements/prenatal vitamins then you are covered - u can find out from your Gyne what the supplements he is giving u are covering for u alrdy and what else if any u should take. Those mother's milk are really just another form of supplement - a convenient form. However, it is IMPORTANT to check with ur Gyne if u intend to change ur diet and eat stuff that u usually don't eat. Do note too much supplements will cause heaty or constipation which is a MAJOR no-no. So hold off that milk - talk to ur Gyne

Read more

No it is not a must and in fact many mommies I know don't drink it. The sugar contents is pretty high so those with gestational diabetes cannot drink it. A lot of the nutrients we can get them naturally from our normal food and diet. Gynae will also prescribe some supplements. If you really feel you need to drink it why don't you cut down the no of scoops or what I did was to put only one scoop of mommys milk powder into my normal hot drink like milk to substitute for the creamer/milk.

Read more

nope is not a must if you are consistent on your DHA or vitamins pills. it is more of good to have given that it has many essential nutrients that you wld need. how abt diluting the drink a little or trying different brand by asking for their samples? I still take it occasionally when I was breastfeeding. I m taking Dumex's & at times mix it in w my milo or coffee. find it not so sweet & don't have that strong milky smell as compare to the other brand.

Read more

It is not really a must. I used to take it while I having my first kid and end up she is having eczema. For second kid, I can't take milk at all so I replace milk with all the green leafy vegetable, Almond or sardine and surprisingly my second born does not have any issue with eczema and have better skin condition.

Read more

I have 3 healthy kids and didn't drink any mothers milk because I find it way too sweet and dislike the taste. What I did instead was to have a healthy balance diet everyday and take supplements - pregnancy multi vitamins and dha. If you don't consume milk, you can also consider calcium supplements as well.

Read more

As per the Doctor milk doesn't help much and this will must give you more Morning sickness. The doctor advice just take the pre natal vitamins DHA and Calcium, in my opinion if you really don't like the milk then stop it. The more important is to enjoy the journey then everything will follow.

Not a must. It's a personal choice. You can stop the milk if you feel it does not suit you. Substitute it with other food and drinks. You can even take supplements. Do consult a doctor before taking any supplements on your own.

Not necessary. In fact my gyne dr told me no need to drink cause it's very fattening. If you are taking vitamins and eating well that is good enough. You can drink fresh milk if you want to add milk in your diet.

I drank it right from the start of pregnancy because i didnt have a healthy diet throughout so mummy milk helps me alot. Yes it can be heaty but also need to drink lots of water too.

You can replace other milk like almond milk, soya milk, vita soy or oat milk etc. If you are diagnose with GDM, pregnancy milk is not recommended due high sugar level