vitamins during pregnancy

hi mums, are/were you taking multi vitamins aside from folic acid during pregnancy? my ob hasn't advised me anything yet. I'm 11weeks now. just curious if he forgot to prescribed me or normally they really don't advise to take? thanks in advance!

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Before week 12, i took only folic acid. Then, my ob started to prescribe me with prenatal multi vitamins which also contains folic acid & omega-3. U need to check your multi vitamins ingredients, if it already contains those necessary ones, there's no need to take folic acid/ omega-3 separately as it is simply redundant. Usually prenatal multi vitamins will contains the necessary. I feel that if you're able to get very well balanced and sufficient diets suits for pregnancy, multi vitamins may not required. But most of the time, we may not be able to get them all through diet, hence the prenatal multi vitamins come in as a supplement.

Read more
4y ago

thanks! great answer :)

In my first trimester, focus was on folic acid to aid baby’s neural development. Only starting 2nd trimester did gynae give me vitamins. If not sure, you should clarify with your gynae instead of asking here and there and assuming he or she forgot or is inexperienced, etc. Only open communication will help build trust between you and your gynae which is important in ensuring you have a comfortable experience for your delivery.

Read more
4y ago

sure will ask him on my next visit. :)

Super Mum

I didn’t take multivitamins as I felt I was taking in a well balanced diet with the necessary food groups, but multivitamins are a convenient way to supplement your vitamin needs if you require it:) My gynae also never pushed for me to take multivitamins

Communicate with your Gyane openly. If you are not comfortable and or don't trust your Gyane, how could you entrust both you yourself and your baby to your Gyane to deliver with peace of mind? Trust & Faith in your Gyane is very important.

4y ago

My wife also got what SPeiyee and the other mummies here have shared. Most Important is to talk to your Gyane find out what is the whole plan from him or her for your entire pregnancy, what should you expect, etc.... Like I told my wife, you are entrusting your life and Baby's life to your Gyane. If you are not comfortable and don't trust your Gyane, please do clarify your doubts early before you decide whether this Gyane is comfortable and can be trusted for you.

VIP Member

hi mums, a follow up.. I'm at 16wks now and yesterday was my check up. again I asked my ob for addtl vits aside from folic acid. but he still didn't want to recommend me anything else. can I just buy my own multivitamins?

Read more

Not to worry.. they will def prescribe you other supplements as you go along. Otherwise, u can call them up to enquire. You should be taking multivitamin in the coming weeks.

hi mummy. i went to see the gynae at 8weeks, gynae prescribed me multi vitamins to be taken at 12weeks. maybe you can enlighten to your gynae.

Super Mum

I don't think your gynae forgets, usually they will prescribe vitamins in the 2nd trimester. You can ask in the next appointment :)

VIP Member

1st trimester I only got folic acid. Then 2nd trimester then they prescribe multivitamins. Then fish oil.

VIP Member

Please ask your gynaecologist for supplements or go to a pharmacy to get some for yourself soon.