excess folic acid during pregnancy is very dangerous????

Moms, I just found out that excess folic acid during pregnancy is very dangerous for the baby. They say it can cause autism???? This is my first time being pregnant and i am really scared of everything that could potentially harm my baby. My doctor prescribed me folic acid vitamins... I’m really scared, it's such a gamble. If I don't take it, I’m afraid of deficiency, and if I take it every day, I’m afraid of excess. But what are the signs of excess folic acid, moms? Does anyone know? I hope we all stay healthy. #seriousquestion

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I shared similar concerns about folic acid after reading literature around it. I was taking 5mg prescribed and 800mcg from my own prenatal multivitamins. Checked with my Dr, and she is aware of such research floating around regarding folic acid and autism. However, she put my mind at ease because it's really more beneficial for me to take her prescribed amount of folic acid as opposed to the risks of not taking it - due to my medical history. There's a reason why certain dosages are prescribed. She shared that my additional prenatal folate amount of 800mcg is not a lot anyway, said excess is excreted in the urine. I get your worries though! I have some family history of autism and I'm naturally more worried about it.

Read more

Are you taking other supplements with folic acid? You can just follow your gynae’s instruction on the folic acid. What is your concern for not wanting to follow the instructions from your gynae actually? Usually it’s only one pill a day so how is it excessive of folic acid? You could potentially harm your baby even more if you choose not to listen or follow your gynae’s instructions. Sometimes it’s best not to think or worry too much when it’s not a big issue, to be honest. You are just scaring yourself from what I see.

Read more

I read something similar and asked my gynae about continuing folic acid in my second trimester. He said that it's really more for first trimester and I need not continue in second trimester, plus multi-vitamins already have a little bit of folic acid. Follow your gynae's advice and clarify if you're still worried. The studies done on excessive folic acid seem to be small studies and the dosage is way higher than what's usually prescribed to us. take care.

Read more

I was prescribed 5mg of folic acid by my gynae from NUH, and honestly, if it's by an experienced professional, I'm OK to take. I've been learning that many times, Google isn't a doctor. I tend to Google for answers and then come up with all kinds of conclusions, only to have doctors tell me that I'm wrong. So if your gynae was the one prescribed the dosage,I'll take it that they know better than Google.

Read more

I had similar concerns too so I took Blackmore’s pregnancy and breastfeeding multivitamins which has 500mcg of folic acid. Polyclinic prescribed 5mg folic acid but my gynae at NUH was happy with Blackmore’s and approved me to continue taking it until giving birth so I didn’t take the 5mg folic acid at all. Baby came out healthy, but think it’s better to consult your doctor on this.

Read more
2mo ago

Oh I took Calcium + D3 from Blackmores at the same time too, my doctor okayed it!

I’m on 5mg of Folic acid and have been through out my pregnancy. At 38 weeks now. Doctor has told me you can’t overdose on folic acid as is it water soluble and any excess that your body and baby don’t require will come out when you urinate. Don’t stress.

my doctor advised me to stop folic acid after 3 months and take obimin instead until end of pregnancy... it consists of folic acid too but well balanced with other vitamins needed for pregnant mom...

I have never heard of excess folic acid will cause autism 😅. Anyway since dr prescribed u with folic acid i'm sure he/she knows the amount for u to take so don't worry too much

I don’t see the issue here. You follow the doctor’s instructions, yes? Unless you’re also taking additional supplements, how else will it be excess?

TapFluencer

honestly the 1st time i hear this... i suppose it's true that things shd b taken in moderation & never to extremes :)