Hi mums! Having a hard time disciplining my 2 year old son. ? any advices?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Welcome to the terrible two stage! It's common that your son may start throwing tantrums when things don't go his way, be more picky with food and toys, doing things on his accord - because he's at a stage where he wants to be more independent and do things on his own, in his own ways. He is also starting to figure out what he likes, so it's a phase! What I'll recommend would be to just take things easy and not be too mindful of things :) I have a 2-year-old son too, and I try to do peaceful parenting whenever possible - acknowledging his feelings, calmly explaining situations to him and most importantly, giving him alternatives to what he can do instead. When we get frustrated over them making a mess, it only makes us angry and lose our temper - but if we just let them play AND learn to clean up TOGETHER as a fun activity, they are able to do the things they want (ie. play with their toys). Don't be too afraid of messes because they can always be cleaned up, it's tiring to do so but it'll be better for both you and your little one to just let go and let them have fun - or even have fun together! If he throws a tantrum (no matter where it is), calm down before trying to talk to him - always ensure you're at his eye level and addressing the issue calmly. If you panic or show any signs of tension, he will catch on to it too! Other than that, acknowledge his feelings and explain why he can/cannot be doing whatever he was throwing a tantrum for - then offer an alternative/promise that you are able to keep :) I know it's hard to do when we're mad, especially in public - but it does help if you practice it often!

Read more

When he is slightly older, You can try "time out "period with your kiddo. Like asking him to sit at a corner, face the wall or what. No interaction, favours or any entertainment. It kinda work for my girl . If he wails leave him to be till time out period is up. Then speak to him.

VIP Member

Take it easy. This is the time they are more crancy and showing tantrum. No point discipling. But u can guide n tell your lo the correct way by showing n verbal. Choice of words are very impt.

2 years old are still young. I wouldnt advise disciplining but rather correcting him. Talk to him slowly. Many times we as parents need to act the way we want and expect from them as well.

Having a hard time too... advice is - remember that we are the adults and they are the kids- esp when tempted to lose temper.

VIP Member

2year old are at a age of tantrums as they unable to express them properly. Hang in there. Just be firm in your words and tone

Dear,slowly one step at a time. They are young and clueless. Dont expect too much