Touching your baby’s hand

Hi Mummies, what will you do if your in-laws & family in-laws keep touching your baby’s hand and smelling your baby head or where with their nose? (Especially my baby’s godma which is my sis-in-laws) (Not sure if they have kiss or not) As my baby like to eat her hand frequently, i kept wipe and wash baby’s hand hundred of time because of them. Had felt super uncomfortable but not dare to say much as i had told them alot times but they still repeated it sometimes if I’m not give them a reminder ? And they hadn’t wash their hand sometimes when back home ? I’m very worrying now as now have Wuhan virus outside.

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same with me what i did first is i put an alcohol beside my baby's cot and if they come to visit i will be the first person to come and take my baby showing them first that i do hand rub with the alcohol while i say this "mommy want to touch you so mummy need to clean her hands first" then from there they got see and follow what i do. I also strictly dun allow them to kiss my baby by me as the mom not kissing my baby.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, my in-laws are like this too. I will talk to them in a firm and polite manner to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer before touching my baby. Or ask your husband to talk to them. I have been “scolded” and teased but I insisted by saying that baby is still young and can fall sick easily. You must be the one protecting your baby since your baby can’t protect himself.

Read more
Super Mum

Oh dear... can you just keep baby away from them? Ask your husband to explain why to them. You’re doing a good job cleaning her hands. For me, I’m keeping my children at home and if I have to go out, baby’s in the baby carrier facing in, so no one has access to her. Haha.

4y ago

How about.. as part of regular conversations, talk about the Wuhan virus as a family. Talk about the confirmed cases, where they’ve been to, and that the whole family needs to protect the baby together.. tell them that the youngest patient with the confirmed viral infection (official news from Wuhan) is only a baby (9 lonths old), and that you’re worries about your little one. Then encourage everyone to wash their hands regularly, and ask for their understanding to stop smelling/kissing the baby till the virus has stopped spreading round the country. Ask your husband to make it a rule in the house that anyone who touches your baby needs to have washed their hands with soap or hand sanitiser first.

VIP Member

Be your baby's advocate. You are the one who has to deal with baby if baby falls ill! Continue to remind and make sure your hubby is on board with it to. If they cannot comply, stop visiting them for now, quoting the coronavirus situation as a reason.

Hey, I would suggest talk to your husband about it and also bring up why it can be harmful for your baby. Also, you both should try speaking to your family members about this. I am sure they will understand, keeping in mind the current situation.

I feel you! I even caught her putting baby's hand into her mouth. She also always kissing my baby. My husband already told her many times and she's very sensitive. She said we are too much! *sigh*

Your hubby should be the one telling them off if they are not listening to you. Maybe can also place a hand sanitizer next to baby cot.

Have an open communication and informed them about it tactfully. They are family, they will listen if they want good for the baby :)

how about attach a sanitizer on the cot and put a note there , easy access n gentle reminder visually

VIP Member

I always remind everyone alcohol first before touching my baby. I always have alcohol