Hyperemesis gravidarum

Hi, any mummies here suffer from hyperemesis gravidarum or severe vomiting that needs to be admitted to hospital frequently for IV therapy? I’m currently at 10 weeks 2 days. My nausea and vomiting are so bad that I can’t tolerate any food or even water. I’m feeling very weak and sick. I’m vomiting stomach yellow bile / acid, white foam and even blood as I have no food in my stomach and nothing left to vomit. I vomit the whole day from morning to night. I have no choice but to be on HL. My condition is very hard on me and I feel really terrible. I have been admitted to the hospital for 4 times for IV therapy due to dehydration. I felt better with the drip and medication by IV. But the moment I'm out of hospital without the drip, my nausea and vomiting came back immediately. Tried oral diclectin and maxolon for anti nausea / vomiting but both didn't help at all. I become very depressed and don’t know how to tolerate. Everyday is a torture for me as I feel like a very sick and dying person. I cried so many times and wanted to give up. I find that nobody can understand how torturing this is. I have a 2.5 year old son at home that I can’t even take care of with my condition right now. I feel so sad that I can’t see my son when I have to frequently admit to the hospital and hospital so not allow kid to enter the ward. Am I the only 1 suffering from this condition? Any mummy having the same condition as me can let me know how to go through this please?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm 11 weeks pregnant and so far I've lost more than 4kg. Anti nausea medicine doesn't help control the nausea or vomitting, I'll still vomit after, even after eating the strongest medicine Diclectin. I've also tried non medicinal methods such as ginger tea or the anti nausea sea band, but it doesn't work. I was sent to A&E for suspected hypermedia gravidarum and was kept there for 10 hours to do IV drip. Right after I left the hospital, I vomited 😂 From that day on, I made it a point to eat very small bites, like 2/3 small mouth of biscuit/rice with 10 min interval then drinking 2/3 sips of water in between. Each mealtime lasts me an average of 2 hours and by then I'm still hungry but at least I get food in my stomach. These are considered good days, because on most days I don't get to retain the food and I'll vomit out what I have eaten, in the recent weeks it has morphed from throwing up every meal to throwing up dinner. So for these few weeks, dinner on most days ends up to be a potato or egg. And when i want to sleep to not feel nausea, i cannot, because am too hungry, which will trigger nausea and vomitting 🫠 I've broken down so many times before but what's worse is that if I cry, it will trigger vomit so I cannot keep crying 🫠 i also feel very miserable because no one else seems to understand what I'm going through. My mum and mother in law tells me to just eat something but they don't understand that putting the wrong food in will induce vomitting also. People I spoke to don't seem to experience what I went through, making it seem like I'm the odd one out. So yes, you're not alone, hang in there, it's really not easy and I understand.

Read more

Hang in there. I’m currently 10 weeks 2 days and have been suffering from MS since week 6. Gynae told me I can up my diclectin dose to 2 at night, 1 in the noon and 1 in the evening. You can try maybe that will help. Apart from that I heard that ginger tea helps too. I also feel shitty everyday and I feel so bad as I’m supposed to be grateful for being pregnant but I can’t help but feel like I no longer own my body. I don’t feel myself at all. I guess only time will help. Let’s do this!!!

Read more
8mo ago

I'm on the max dose of diclectin. 1 morning, 1 afternoon and 2 at night. on top of that I still add on maxolon. It doesn't help at all instead I feel even more sick after taking it. I tried ginger tea as well. And morning sickness band. I tried almost everything I can but none helps. I can feel I'm currently very dehydrated as I don't have much urine, my urine is super dark yellow, my skins are dry and itchy everywhere. I loss 8 kg so far. I'm having my appointment on coming Monday and I guess I will have to admit again. It's really not easy for every mummies. Thank you. Hope our nausea and vomiting will be gone ASAP.

Same. I was admitted hospital countless times due to dehydration and 1 time is due to unknowingly gotten influenza. Was vomiting non stop as I was also on tamiflu for influenza. I was just discharged from hospital but I am very vexed too as I am constantly worried I will end up in hospital for IV drips again…. My urine shows very dehydrated.

Read more