Mummies please share your family favourite recipe!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My favourite home cooked dish is simple to assemble, but difficult to perfect. Teochew Steamed Pomfret Ingredients (Serves 2-4) – 1 medium whole fish (such as white pomfret) – I ask the fishmonger to clean it for me – 6 slices of ginger – 1 slice of ginger, cut to thin strips, as thinly as you can – 1 chilli padi (aka bird’s eye chili), sliced (adjust or omit to your liking) – 1-2 medium tomato, cut to small wedges – 2 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed, sliced thinly – 80g salted vegetables, sliced thinly (roughly 1 to 1.5cm lengthwise) – 2 salted plums (see photo above) – 1 tbsp rice wine (I use mirin) – optional – 1 tbsp light soy sauce – 5 tbsp water (adjust according to your preference. For example, if you don’t want any “broth” then lessen the water. Lessen light soy sauce if you’re adding less water) – spring onions (scallions), sliced thinly to wispy strips (to garnish, optional) Directions 1. Place 2 slices of ginger inside the fish cavity. Place 4 ginger slices, half of the shiitake mushrooms and half of the salted vegetables to line the bottom of a deep plate. 2. Make two diagonal cuts along the body of the fish (the fleshy part) on both sides. Place fish in the plate, on top of the earlier ingredients you added. 3. Drizzle light soy sauce and mirin over the fish. Keep in fridge (covered) for at least 30 minutes if you can. 4. When you are ready to steam the fish, add water and scatter the rest of the ingredients (ginger strips, salted plums, tomatoes, remaining salted vegetables & mushrooms) over the fish and around the plate. 5. Steam on high heat for roughly 15 minutes – the water in the steamer should be boiling before the fish goes in, and the duration stated for steaming should start only from that moment.* Note: The bigger the fish, the longer it takes . Do not over-steam as the meat will become tough. For the fish shown in the photo, it was cooked nicely with 15 minutes of steaming. Garnish with spring onions strips and serve with porridge or rice. http://www.noobcook.com/teochew-steamed-fish/

Read more
Post reply image

Nothing beats a good oven roasted whole chicken with crispy oven baked potatoes. For the roasted whole chicken, the key is to get the skin crispy in the oven which can be easily done by submerging the whole chicken in a brine made of salt, some sugar, garlic, rosemary and water. Leave it for a few hours and remove from the brine bag. After that, let the chicken rest in the fridge uncovered for 2 hours. Before placing chicken in the oven, massage with olive oil, salt, pepper. When you bake it, the chicken will be crispy on the outside and tender inside. As for the potatoes, I use russet potatoed and chop them up without removing the skin. I toss them in olive oil, salt and pepper with a sprinkling of rosemary. Bake for an hour or till crispy!

Read more

We love baking Pizza together. It is pretty easy to make with ready made pizza dough. We can add any ingredients and toppings we like and we take it as our family bonding time too! http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/homemade_pizza/

Post reply image

thanks