Hi Mummies!! My LO is going for her 3rd month jab tomorrow and I'm afraid she might get fever. How to prevent it? Do you all give fever med after injection eventhou ur LO does not have fever? TIA

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby gets fever everytime after jabs. Wad u can do is, buy Kool Fever pad to prepare to stick on baby's forehead when there's fever. Polyclinic will give fever syrup after e jab. Wad i do is, i will monitor wif a thermometer. If baby get more than 37.5 degree, i will give e syrup. (The reason for me is, i dun wait till e fever gets too high. It is very hard to manage if too high. I will try to give meds near to e evening timing like 4pm onwards. Before baby's night slp. Cos at nite itz very difficult for u to feed meds when baby wans to slp! And temperature tends to go up when in e evening onwards!) Then i will stick e pad on forehead to maintain e reduce of fever (buy those tat says will last for 8hrs). If fever subsides after e pad last finish, den dun need to put e Kool Fever pad alrdy. Monitor e temperature still. If fever comes back again, i give syrup den stick pad (E same cycle again). The fever for my baby always last for 2days. After 2days, will recover liao. Dun worry abt e fever. Juz monitor closely can liao. At nite, juz stick e pad & monitor every 3-4hrs. Oh! Also, wear loose clothings during e day. Wear lesser. Dun think tat baby is hving fever so he muz be feeling cold, den u make him wear many layer/covered up. It will make e temperature go up higher! Make sure e room is cool & not cold!

Read more

Though fever is a potential side effect, not all babies will develop a fever after getting their vaccinations. I would suggest that you monitor your baby's condition after the jab. Even if he/she develops a fever, you can try sponging first before giving him/her any medication. Follow the doctor's/nurse's advice on this. Some of my friends commented that because their babies are breastfed, their babies did not develop fever for most of their vaccinations. Not sure if breastfeeding really helped, but that was their observation.

Read more
VIP Member

Having a fever after vaccination is actually a good thing, because it means that the body is working hard to figure out a plan to fight the vaccinated virus :) All vaccines are inactive/weakened versions of the actual virus, they act like army training for the body so that the body is better prepared if it ever contracts the real thing. Please do not give fever medication if LO has no fever, or any other medication for anything for that matter!

Read more

Every child is different. As for my Daughter Shanayah, she did not have fever for the 3rd month jab instead she had it for the 6th month jab. We were given 2 different medications. 1 is for fever below 38’c and the other was for above 38’c. We had children kool pads ready though. Hourly sponges also helps a lot.

Read more

No way to prevent it and only some individuals will have. It is a normal human body reaction to it and nothing to worry or want to avoid about. Give the medicine only if baby has a fever

I doubt there is a way to prevent it. Best is to let nature runs its own course. Breastfeeding usually helps as our body will pass all the antibodies to baby through the breastmilk.

VIP Member

Let nature run its course. Fever is a way that the body is fighting the virus. Sponge baby and offer panadol when fever rises

Read more
VIP Member

My baby never had a fever after any jab. Think you should wait and see. The Doctors will also give you baby Panadol