Give up pumping

Mummies, I’m 2.5 months pp. first confinement nanny discourage me to pump/latch, which wasted my first golden week. Now I’m only pumping 15-20ml per breast. Can’t seems to increase, and kept decreasing (from 20-30ml per breast). Shld i give up? I’ve tried everything ( food, fluids, fish, soup, pumping every 3 hours etc..) I’m tired n super disappointed already. And my helper asked me “mam, why ur milk so little, I used to be overflowing” which makes me more depress 🥺🥺🥺

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi momma! Dont be discouraged! Direct latching help stimulates milk production. Set pumping schedule on time and consistent as much as possible. The way you think also matters, what you think attracts. My milk supply decreases over period of time some factor is my pumping sched not met on time and sometimes mess up due to work. LO is turning 11 months had him exclusive breastfeed for 6 months. I stashed milk for him when i went back to work but he's quite a drinker and I run out of stash. I heartbrokenly had to do mix feed. Recently my pump output is decreasing but I make sure to feed him directly whenever I'm back from work (night till morning). There are days I wanted to give up, but this gold liquid tho limited is free, healthy, beneficial and best that I could give to my child. Keep fighting mama! We can do this!!! ♥️ God bless you!

Read more

Can I ask what was the reason for your confinement nanny to discourage you? And ask the helper to shut up and educate herself on why women can have low supply😠 If you are still visiting your gynae on the next checkup, get breastfeeding supplements, it helps to save my sanity. Currently I’m taking domperidone pills, and gel capsules from KISSUN brand. My supply went from super low to low 🤭 Still I’m very grateful And if you decide to go fm, that’s totally fine too. Bm isn’t the only good food that you will be providing to your child :) You well-being is just as important as your baby’s.

Read more
8mo ago

Hello mummy, Please do not let anyone discourage or make you feel less of being a mum. Even if you have 15ml per breast, it is better then 0ml :) at least your baby can receive it. I used to spend 30mins each Pump session to only pump 30ml total, thought of wasting time did occur to me but I shuck it off as I continue to do 3 hourly at work even while taking meetings. I try to not stop trying and I manage to continue for 14months until my supplies close to 0. I continued 3 hourly, express pumping, whatever method I just try and take it as a learning as I go. On days I can't do enough pumps, don't blame yourself. We just do what we can. Insufficient breast milk can suppliment milk powder milk. Any amount is good for the baby. Cheer up and don't let anyone judge or make you feel bad. Each mum has their own challenge.

my milk supply is low too and i stop pumping at around 3 months. every pump is slowly decreasing til like 10-15ml(both breasts) so i guess its time for me to stop. doesn't matter if baby is BM or FM fed, really! at least your baby drank til your breastmilk right😉 my husband is being very supportive and told me not like baby got nothing to drink if i stop pumping/low milk supply, there is still FM so i can have more rest and can take care of my baby better! you did your very best to pump all you have to give your LO, you are doing great mama! jiayous!💪🏻

Read more

hello mummy, don't be discouraged and don't give yourself too much pressure whether to pump or formula feed. I'm a first time mum and do not have enough for my baby too so I just do mix feeding for her. don't need to care about other people's comment, some people are just insensitive and low EQ. my colleague also commented on my milk I just laughed it off and ignored her. all in all, do what's comfortable for you, happy mum = happy baby! After all, we all grow up being formula fed too 😊

Read more

Jiayou mummy. It was the same for me too. I was quite clueless about breastfeeding and confinement nanny kept asking me to introduce FM to LO to bring his jaundice down as my initial supply is very low. Can’t even reach 10ml from the first few pump. But I didn’t want to give up. I’m doing mixed feeding now. LO is 10 weeks now, when I do power pump can yield about 50-60ml. Personally think whatever we can produce is better than nothing at all.

Read more

Not sure if you are keen but can consider engaging Jessica from orientaljamu (IG). I was planning to BF for 3 months but she taught me ways to make my BF journey easier and I am 10 months in 😊 I BF and give my child formula because I started with low supply. At the end of the day , we want the best for our child and the intention is the key! JY mummy!!

Read more

Hi, try to relax..the more stressed up we feel, the less milk we produce…its not easy but i been there too…u need to ignore these people who make negative remarks…try to latch more and when u pumping your milk, relax, drink warm milk or milo. There is a massage technique too…can also try lactation consultant for advise..

Read more

Try Legendairy Milk supplements. I had v low supply too, had postnatal blues due to the stress of not being able to fully breastfeed. Baby was always hungry so I supplemented with FM. Aft taking the pills, my supply improved. Much better than taking all the lactation bakes etc.

8mo ago

Dear mummy, I have the same challenge as you. I tried all kinds of food, fluids (soup, water, red dates, oats, milo) I still yield 20-30ml up till now. my baby is 6 weeks old. I felt really demoralising at first. Same as you, you too have come a long way to try to give the best you can to your baby! Be it 20ml or 15ml or 30ml ...those are 15ml-30ml of goodness. I accumulate them for baby to drink 1 shot. its tiring at first. you can try power pumping. 20mins pump 1 side, rest 10mins and change sides. This helps me yield 10ml more from 20ml to 30ml each pump. but do get enough rest, stress is milk killer too! my nanny did told me that FM can help clear jaundice and advice me not to beat myself up for the low supply. just give whatever I have to baby! You have been managing well! jia You! you are definitely not alone. Cos somewhere in the middle of the night, in each block/unit ....who knows a first time mom is also going through the exact same experience as you! You are giving the b

why did your nanny discourage you? you should be pumping milk and increasing milk supplies by now. ignore them, babe and start pumping and latching your lil one. it will help increase your milk supply back again. jiayou mummy!

I would say listen only to the professional.. Maybe consult a lactation consultant?

8mo ago

I’ve asked the lactation nanny (from Gleneagles) same thing she asked me to do. But as my LO grumpy during the day time.. I missed a few pumping sessions.. 😔