Drug Allergies

Hello mummies, I am now on my 9th week and this is my first pregnancy. So I'm basically still new to all this and I much needed advices or tips from the pro mummies out there ? As usual, morning sickness. But here's the thing, I wasn't given medications for it due to my drug allergies. So mummies out there can share any tips on how to avoid/cure the nauseating/dizziness? It gotten so bad till I was forced quit my job. I know it's ridiculous, but I'm left with no choice. They told me to leave as I can't 'control' my morning sickness ? also, is it normal to like not have appetite to eat always? My tummy at times do feel 'tight' and bloated. And let's not forget about the 'uncomfortable' feeling. I've already prepared to ask my Gynae these questions during my first check up, but unfortunately the consultation was super fast and I didn't get to ask anything! My next appointment with her will be end of this month and hopefully I'll get to lay out these questions to her. And before I forget, is cockles bad for pregnancy? I crave for cockles and right after eating them, I started throwing up for 3 days! It was (quite) bad. I went to a&e that night and so far the doc didn't tell me that I can't eat cockles (or maybe he probably forgotten that I ate that) but instead, he told me that I have stomach flu and that my potassium is low after the blood test result is out. Low potassium? How bad is it for pregnant women? Help a sister out if you can. Thank you ?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi Cheryl, thank you for taking your time to read my post and replied. I'm allergic to Metoclopramide or Maxolon for short. When I take that, I'll have difficulties in breathing and restless for some reason. Oh dear.. Yes, I was truly heartbroken when I had to leave my job. My husband sees it as an opportunity for me to stay at home and told me to focus on my pregnancy since it's our first. Not quite used to be at home all the time but with all these morning sicknesses and fatigues, I now see the positive side of it (lol) During the recent visit to the a&e, the doc told me that these morning sicknesses will be gone once I'm at my 14th weeks? But then again, it all depends on individuals, right? 😦 After the cockles experience, the sight of them now scares me already! Yikes. Oh, speaking of Tuna, does that means I have to avoid tuna at all cost? Cause I'm thinking of getting mayo tuna from subway one of these days 😳 and salmon is ok right? Since I got pregnant, I've had (grilled/fried) salmon twice and so far I didn't throw up like the cockles incident. Well, technically I did threw up a day after I had salmon from Long John Silver but that was after I had cereal with chocolate milk for breakfast the next morning. I threw out the chocolate milk I drank. So, I suppose it's not the salmon, ya? 😥 The doctor prescribed me this one liquid medication for my potassium but I stopped taking it after a day as it tasted awful which makes my nauseous worsen 😩 I did my research and I too saw that bananas have high potassium! Although I'm not quite a fan of bananas, I have been eating it at least once a day now 😊

Read more
4y ago

No problem 😊😊 enjoy ya pregnancy..

Super Mum

Hi dear, what drug allergies do you have? (Names of medicines) You can try hot ginger tea for now. Might help. I’m sorry to hear about your job. Must have been really difficult. Hope for now, you’ll focus on having a good pregnancy and taking care of baby, and that you’ll be able to find a good job next time when you’re ready to go back to work ❤️ Bloatedness is very common in the first trimester. It can happen with or without the nausea. It gets better soon:) Please avoid cockles, dear. Most of them are not fully cooked, so you definitely run the risk of stomach flu, which you already got. You also run the risk of hepatitis A and E, which you don’t want. During your whole pregnancy, it’s safer to just eat food that’s fully cooked, including your eggs, vegetables and meat. Don’t eat seafood that’s high in mercury (eg. Tuna/swordfish) too. Try to stay hydrated even with your nausea. If you can’t even tolerate water and you’re dehydrated, you may need to go to the hospital for a drip. As for the low potassium, it’s probably due to the stomach flu. You can try taking banana or oranges to build it up (if you can tolerate), or buy oral rehydration salts to mix with water and drink. Hope your nausea gets better soon!

Read more
4y ago

No problem ☺️