Gestational Diabetes

Hi mummies, I am first time mom-to-be and recently diagnosed with GDM by my gynae. For that one month before taking the glucose test, I've changed my diet to more lean proteins and fresh veggies (but with a cheat day once a week/or every 2 weeks - just burger/spring chicken/ less sugar milk tea without pearls), however I did not do any exercise as I am constantly fatigue with nausea and vomitting. Before pregnant, I always go for health screening annually and my glucose level was good. 1) I would like to ask, even with a thorough healthy diet and proper exercise regime (at least 30 mins a day), will I get rid of GDM? 2) Could GDM be genetics? My maternal family have history of GDM (grandma, mum and aunties) and they have to inject insulin daily during their pregnancy days and sadly, they become diabetic even after giving birth. If I control my GDM now, will I become diabetic even after giving birth? 3) I feel bad passing this risks to my baby, will my baby get diabetes as well? Is there any mama who have defeated GDM and deliver a healthy baby? 4) My maternity insurance is not finalised as the underwriters keep questioning my cysts which I declared previously. However, it was accepted recently (before my GDM diagnosis), but they have not generate the policy contract for me to sign and I have declared that I have GDM to my agent... what are the chances of me being insured under GE maternity insurance? Or are there any maternity insurance able to insured mama with GDM risks? #advicepls #pleasehelp #firstbaby

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1) Yes it’s possible. By a healthy diet, what you can do now is to reduce sugar intake from snacks. Cut out the rice if you’re able to do so with another complex carbohydrate option. 2) Yes, genetics play a part indeed. If you’re able to control your GDM now, there’s also the possibility that you won’t be diabetic after birth. In fact, GDM goes away after birth by itself for some mums. 3) The risk of GDM for children is that, they have a higher predisposition for obesity, and ultimately diabetes if it goes out of control. There are cases where mums manage to control their GDM through diet and deliver a healthy baby, but it takes conscious effort to cut the sugar. 4) If you have been diagnosed with GDM prior to signing the documents and declared it, there is a chance that you will be loaded (paying a higher premium compared to the rest) for the risk, or coverage for complications due to GDM might be excluded. As for coverage for GDM risk, you might want to check with other agents.

Read more

My cousin who is such a health buff (runs 10k daily pre-pregnancy and is super strict with her diet) has GD. Was a shock for us as she really takes care of her diet. As compared to me who drink teh tarik every other day and still indulges in sweet desserts during pregnancy, I have no GD. I think it's true genetics play a part too as both her parents have diabetes while my parents don't. But don't worry mommy, I have heard alot of moms who cld get rid of GDM if it's borderline. Another friend of mine was diagnosed with GD but with strict diet, her glucose level remained normal at 3rd tri.

Read more

GDM only happens during pregnancy, you can be perfectly healthy before pregnancy and still have GDM. It's more genetics and not something you can avoid by diet alone unfortunately. But the good thing is you can keep it in control with diet. The only risk of GDM is the baby will be bigger and thus makes delivery more difficult, but it's not something that can be transferred to baby. It will go away once you've given birth. Don't worry! And you can ask your doctor all of these questions too for assurance.

Read more

If i m not wrong, baby has a higher chance of developing diabetes in future. I have also been pricking for 2 mths now (from 20 wks to 28 wks). So far i haven exceeded the mthly avg despite me hving alot of cheat meals. For me i totally cut out rice. And yes, i tink has smth to do wif genetics coz my mum had GD when she had me n she later develop diabetes in her life..

Read more