gdm mummies how will it affect baby

hi there! i have gdm, i'm 38 weeks now so far my blood sugar is okay not that bad. only certain time like fasting and bedtime it will spike up but never reach more than 7.2mmol before. i'm not on insulin or any sorts of medication. just diet control. i was thinking, my baby hasnt grown too big so what will happen to baby if in cases on my labour day my blood sugar suddenly spike? i dowan anything to.happen to my baby tho 🥺 i'll be doing a membrane sweep today, then 5 days later doc will induce if no signs of labour. i'm just feeling very worried for my newborn.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was in your shoes just 3months ago! I was on diet control also. Just to let you know, on the day of the birth, just remember to tell the nurse or doctor that you have GDM. Just like a reminder. They actually know already lah. They will give you antibiotics. My baby was born at 2.37kg. Quite small actually. But the doctor will check baby’s glucose level right after giving birth. My babygirl is healthy! FYI, you would be required to do the glucose test again on the first gynae appt after giving birth. You would need to do two blood tests instead of the three blood test like when you were pregnant. Don’t worry mommy! Doctors and nurses will be there for you every step of the way. Throw your concerns to them. You can do this!

Read more
2y ago

awww thankyou so much for sharing and the support! gonna deliver my babygirl soon just waiting now 💖

don’t worry the medical team will know what to do when you are in labour. sugar levels might go down during labour cos you can’t eat anyway..?